Profile review

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile review

by ConsultantToBe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:12 am
Hi guys. I am trying to get a gauge on what type of MBA programs I could get into. I just finished my second year law internship position with the DoJ honors program. I hated every moment of it. I am applying for management/strategic consulting firms as it is but I am also exploring MBA options if I don't get any consulting jobs.

Ethnicity: Asian
Undergrad: B.A. in Economics. State school top of tier 2 or bottom of tier 1.
Undergraduate GPA: 3.01.
GMAT: 720 first attempt taken cold. Been studying and getting 740 or 760 on practice exames. IR 8.
Law School: lower T-14
Law School GPA/ranking: 3.89/5%

Experience: 1 summer of working (what I am finishing now, incidentally what convinced me law is hell) in DOJ honors program and 1 summer with a mid-sized law firm.

Notable: I dropped out of college to play poker professionally before returning to finishing a in 2011. This is why I have no professional experience despite my age.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:27 pm
it is very commendable to get a 720 on the GMAT, with little preparation. While I am always hesitant to recommend a retake with scores like this, in your case it might be worthwhile, if you think you can improve it by 20+ points. Many consulting companies also use your GMAT score during recruiting.

As you know, you will have an unorthodox story to tell, with a few (at least one) wrong turns. No doubt you can convince MBA programs you have the smarts to do well, but can you demonstrate how you will contribute to the learning environment, and make the most of the experience? cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

by ConsultantToBe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:42 am
Thank you. What schools do you think are realistically within my reach?

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:41 am
ConsultantToBe wrote:Hi guys. I am trying to get a gauge on what type of MBA programs I could get into. I just finished my second year law internship position with the DoJ honors program. I hated every moment of it. I am applying for management/strategic consulting firms as it is but I am also exploring MBA options if I don't get any consulting jobs.

Ethnicity: Asian
Undergrad: B.A. in Economics. State school top of tier 2 or bottom of tier 1.
Undergraduate GPA: 3.01.
GMAT: 720 first attempt taken cold. Been studying and getting 740 or 760 on practice exames. IR 8.
Law School: lower T-14
Law School GPA/ranking: 3.89/5%

Experience: 1 summer of working (what I am finishing now, incidentally what convinced me law is hell) in DOJ honors program and 1 summer with a mid-sized law firm.

Notable: I dropped out of college to play poker professionally before returning to finishing a in 2011. This is why I have no professional experience despite my age.
Hi

Age, GPA, and (lack of) experience are factors here, and a strong GMAT score will be very important to help create a spike for your profile. Your experiences of course will play a big role in helping schools to consider you, but you must ensure that you have a clear career goal and a case for an MBA (i.e. beyond why you do not wish to pursue a career in law or simply wanting to move to consulting). That is where the rub will lie.

In terms of the actual schools, the B-schools of the universities where you went to law school or college are possible choices, if these are well-ranked. If not, you might need to look at schools ranked well-lower than what a strong GMAT might otherwise indicate. Top schools look like a difficult bet.

by ConsultantToBe » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:37 am
I think I can tell a compelling story for consulting and MBA.

How much would my candidacy strengthen with a stint at biglaw, corporate counsel, or government? i want to identify the best way to get experience to raise my chances.

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:15 pm
ConsultantToBe wrote:I think I can tell a compelling story for consulting and MBA.

How much would my candidacy strengthen with a stint at biglaw, corporate counsel, or government? i want to identify the best way to get experience to raise my chances.
Corporate Counsel should be the best option from these.