CFA or MBA

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

CFA or MBA

by bobirshoh » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:14 am
I am doing my MBA in one of for profit colleges in US, which I don't like it at all. Now I have two plans taking CFA until next year or take the GMAT and apply outstanding business schools
Can you give me some recommendations which one I have to do

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:59 am
Whether an MBA or a CFA would be better for you depends on what you plan to do going forward.

The CFA program is focused on security analysis, asset valuation and portfolio management. So if you plan to work in, for example, equity analysis or asset management, then you might be better off undertaking the CFA program.

While there is some crossover between what you would cover in an MBA program and the CFA program, more in certain programs than in others, in general an MBA program will have a broader scope, covering more aspects of business financing and management than the CFA program does. Also, attending business school has other advantages, such as the connections you can make.

So if you were to want to evaluate and invest in, say, sustainable energy companies, you might be better off with the CFA program, and if you want to make connections and to finance and run a sustainable energy company, you might be better off with an MBA program.

So in order for someone to help you to decide which way to go, you would have to provide some more information.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:58 am
bobirshoh wrote:I am doing my MBA in one of for profit colleges in US, which I don't like it at all. Now I have two plans taking CFA until next year or take the GMAT and apply outstanding business schools
Can you give me some recommendations which one I have to do
Hi bobirshoh, thanks for your question. I'm not sure I understand- are you currently in an MBA program? If so, it makes sense to finish what you started. If you have not yet started b school in US, certainly you can take the CFA to advance in your career- you also don't really say if you have relevant work experience. Many candidates for MBA programs have CFA designations to show subject matter expertise and to demonstrate mastery of key financial concepts. You don't have to have a CFA to apply to an MBA program but for those with finance interests it can be a plus.

Of course the only right answer here is what you want to do. I'd talk to some people with CFA who don't have an MBA and ask them about their career opportunities and pathways and then I'd ask some MBAs about their career path. It helps to have a clear idea on what YOU want to do going forward. There are many paths to the same goal but having clear career goals will help you here. If you don't want to make a 2 year investment in your total professional development- and are truly seeking just finance knowledge, start with CFA. But there are many reasons why the MBA can be helpful to your long term goals and the CFA and MBA are not mutually exclusive.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:57 am
Hello,

Thank you for sharing.
It would be great if we could have some more information about your background and what do you want to do after the program that way we can provide you with helpful information that will guide you effectively on which program to pursue. You can sign up for a FREE consultation for further assessment.
Best,
As GM of MBAitNow I make sure that every client receives the attention they deserve and experience our well-structured approach and process that ensures that they will have the best chances to get accepted at their dream schools.

My team and I had placed clients at MBA programs such as, HBS, SLOAN, ANDERSON, STERN, WHARTON, BOOTH, KELLOGG, HAAS, DARDEN, FUQUA, ROSS, etc.