Post MBA - Tech or Consulting?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Post MBA - Tech or Consulting?

by mbatarget2016 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:05 am
So I started to work on my GMAT ( aiming 740+ ) , making decent progress and aiming to apply for a top 20 school in the US . I've got 10 years of experience behind me working for two major Fortune 500 and Fortune 50 companies in Canada , Africa and Middle-East , worked closely with Europe as well.
Functionally, I have touched sales , marketing , technology strategy deployment ( big data / analytics ) and recently service operations . Very diverse background .

Some other stats ; Male , 34 , Canadian/ of East Indian origion , graduated from a university in Canada with Electrical Engineering with a GPA of 2.2/4 ( Horrendous I know ) but I did well once I was in the work force.
Now , I am sure you guys are going to ask me - Why do I wanna do an MBA when I have worked for the last 10 years - One of the reasons is - I'd like a career change. , 2nd ) I'd like to work in the US and live there .

Now, I'm looking at two possible streams post MBA :

1 ) Technology Sector (My gig with Big data was fascinating ; I loved looking at trends and making use of all the information we receive from data points to make business decision. ) . I became really interested in all the latest and greatest going on in silicon valley , the technology space , unmanned cabs etc etc. What are the best US MBA programs to land jobs in the technology sector ?

2 ) Consulting : why consulting ? It sounds cool but I have no idea what it entails. What kinds of consulting do students end up getting into post MBA from a top 20 school? What kinds of different streams within consulting do we have? What do you actually do? What are the best US MBA programs to land jobs in consulting and are their different tiers? What's the remuneration like for some of these consulting firms?

I know it's a long write-up but hope some of you can help me untangle this !

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:13 am
really need to do a lot off research to fine tune those goals. Make sure you have everything well thought out before you apply. Obviously your GPA is going to be a weakness in your application, a very strong GMAT will only go so far in mitigating the GPA issue. Taking a class or 2, and getting As, will also help in your transition back to school. Work on your goals, research the different programs by looking at their career reports and see which ones suit you in terms of consulting firms, and firms from silicon valley.

You also need to apply in Round 1 for the schools you target, you are from a very competitive profile. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

by mbatarget2016 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:45 am
Thanks Alex ! Which classes do you recommend? and Since I am based out of Dubai currently , can I take distance classes?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:58 pm
2-3 classes, get A's. Quant-focused would be good, although I recognize your undergrad was in engineering. basic econ, accounting, stats, calculus stuff. If there is not a local option, then online would do. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

by mbatarget2016 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:15 pm
Thanks Alex. I am considering UCLA Anderson extension. I understand that the credits awarded are credible for Admissions offices

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:51 pm
yes, that should work. cheers, alex