Once numbering in the millions worldwide

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Once numbering in the millions worldwide

by mack13 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:47 am
Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some 11,000 of them to be found in the lower 48 United States and Alaska.
A. it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some
B. the wolf is estimated to have declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately
C. the wolf has declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, some
D. wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately
E. wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 in 57 countries, some
Please take a moment to hit Thanks if you like my post. :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by dustystormy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:13 am
IMO E
Because in all the other options the comparison is nonsensical

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:59 am
To me this question highlights the value of finding a tight decision point. While on the GMAT using the word with tends to be incorrect if something is not actually with something else, I am not really sure whether some is preferable to with approximately. So I am going to look for other decision points.

(A) This conveys that the wolf has declined to a number. The number of wolves could decline to a number, or the population of wolves could decline to a number, but saying that the wolf itself has declined to a number does not really make sense.

(B) This one nonsensically conveys that the wolf itself has been estimated.

(C) In this version the wolf has declined to an estimate. That doesn't make sense either.

(D) Now multiple wolves have declined to an estimate. This one is not much different from C.

(E) Hmm. Now multiple wolves have declined to a number. I guess this one is better than A, in that rather than saying that THE wolf has declined to 200,000, it can be seen as saying that wolves have declined to 200,000 wolves. So I guess that aspect of this version basically works. Meanwhile, this version conveys that the number, rather than the wolves, is what is estimated, and that makes sense.

So, the best answer is E.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.