Only seven people this century have been killed by the great

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies-less than those killed by bee stings.

A. movies-less than those
B. movies-fewer than have been
C. movies, which is less than those
D. movies, a number lower than the people
E. movies, fewer than the ones

OA: B

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:29 am
One key thing here is knowing that the quantity word less is used with things that are not countable, such as water, and the quantity word fewer is used with countable things, such as people. So those signs for the express lines in stores, the ones that say "Less Than Fifteen Items" are examples of incorrect grammar.

A) So this is wrong, because less is incorrectly used.

B) In this one, fewer is correctly used and the entire construction is effective.

C) This one involves the use of a which modifier that is not clearly linked to what it modifies, if it is even linked to anything.

D) This one has two obvious issues. One is that a number lower than does not have a clear referent. The other is that number is incorrectly compared to people.

E) In this one seven people is illogically compared to the ones. Here's a sentence that highlights that illogic. Seven people are fewer than the ones killed by bee stings. It basically compares a quantity to the people in a group.

So that's why B is correct.

I am not sure how much GMAT questions involve the use of quantity words these days - there don't seem to be as many idiom based questions as there once were - but learning how to correctly use the various quantity words may still be relevant for GMAT preparation, and definitely is for using English effectively.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:50 am
I wouldn't call this an idiom question, more involved with counting and non-counting nouns. As such, we are using counting nouns - we can actually count the people. B and E are the only ones that use 'fewer', which is appropriate for counting nouns.

In E, the number of people is compared to a group of people - this is incorrect and leaves B.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by OptimusPrep » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:35 pm
Always keep the following thing in mind when you encounter a question that has less/fewer in it:

less is used with uncountable things, such as tiredness,
fewer is used with countable things, such as number of players in a team.

After applying this learning, you are left with options: B, D and E.

On second round of investigation, we see that
D incorrectly compares number to people and
E illogically compares "seven people" to the "ones". It compares number to a group.

Hence B is the correct answer here

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by debusingh » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:01 pm
So we need not worry about role of punctuation I.e. ', -' in this question. With b 2 dashes are confusing.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:24 pm
debusingh wrote:So we need not worry about role of punctuation I.e. ', -' in this question. With b 2 dashes are confusing.
- is somewhat interchangeable with , and anyway either is fine in that spot.

Regarding your confusion, I too never did see hyphens used so much before I started playing the GMAT game...
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:23 am
Hi Experts,
Would require few clarifications on B and E.

In B, please clarify what are the ENTITIES compared ? How EXACTLY B stands correct ?

In E, seven people killed by the shark...fewer than the ones killed by bee stings -- please shed light that how this comparison is WRONG ? Is it because the term ONES here indicates to the PEOPLE killed by bees NOT to the NUMBER of PEOPLE killed by bees ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:00 pm
In E, seven people killed by the shark...fewer than the ones killed by bee stings -- please shed light that how this comparison is WRONG ? Is it because the term ONES here indicates to the PEOPLE killed by bees NOT to the NUMBER of PEOPLE killed by bees ?
Exactly. "Ones" requires a plural antecedent, so it appears to refer to "people." You can compare one quantity to another quantity, but it isn't coherent to compare one quantity to people.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:58 pm
Thanks Dave. Can you please shed some light on my concern related to the option B as mentioned above in my post ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:51 am
In B, please clarify what are the ENTITIES compared ? How EXACTLY B stands correct ?
B is comparing the number of people killed by sharks to the number of people killed by bee stings. In this case the second quantity is inferred:

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies- fewer than [the number of people who] have been killed by bee stings.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:47 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Experts,
Would require few clarifications on B and E.

Only PARALLEL FORMS can be compared.
E: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones killed by bee stings.
Here, the killed in red serves not as a verb but as an ADJECTIVE describing ones.
What KIND of ones?
Ones KILLED BY BEES STINGS.
As result, E incorrectly compares a VERB (have been killed) to a MODIFIER (the killed in red)
Eliminate E.

OA: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than have been killed by bee stings.
The OA correctly compares the two VERBS in blue.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:39 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: Only PARALLEL FORMS can be compared.
E: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones killed by bee stings.
Here, the killed in red serves not as a verb but as an ADJECTIVE describing ones.
What KIND of ones?
Ones KILLED BY BEES STINGS.
As result, E incorrectly compares a VERB (have been killed) to a MODIFIER (the killed in red)
Eliminate E.
@ GMATGuruNY -If we interpret E as Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones [who have been]killed by bee stings.

OR, Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones [who are]killed by bee stings.

Then in BOTH the above cases - have been killed and are killed are VERB, NOT ADJECTIVE. So parallelism is maintained, BUT here issue is with ONES, I think. Right ?
GMATGuruNY wrote: OA: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than have been [killed] by bee stings.
Here, the word in brackets is omitted, but its presence is implied.
As a result, the OA correctly compares the two VERBS in blue.
Here,I think, ELLIPSIS is at play as following - Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark...fewer than [the NUMBER of people WHO] have been killed by bee stings..

COMPARISON between seven people killed by the great white shark and the NUMBER of people killed by bee stings . Isn't it ?

Look forward to hear from you.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:36 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:@ GMATGuruNY -If we interpret E as Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones [who have been]killed by bee stings.

OR, Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than the ones [who are]killed by bee stings.

Then in BOTH the above cases - have been killed and are killed are VERB, NOT ADJECTIVE.
Only PARALLEL FORMS may be compared.
seven people have been killed (subject + verb) and the ones who are killed (pronoun + who-modifier) are NOT parallel forms.
Here,I think, ELLIPSIS is at play as following - Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark...fewer than [the NUMBER of people WHO] have been killed by bee stings..

COMPARISON between seven people killed by the great white shark and the NUMBER of people killed by bee stings . Isn't it ?
This interpretation is not quite right.
Since the number does not appear in the main clause, these words cannot be implied in the modifier that ends the sentence.
The OA implies the following comparison:
Fewer [people have been killed by the great white shark] than [people] have been killed by bee stings.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:36 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: Only PARALLEL FORMS may be compared.
seven people have been killed (subject + verb) and the ones who are killed (pronoun + who-modifier) are NOT parallel forms.
Got this.Thanks!
GMATGuruNY wrote:This interpretation is not quite right.
Since the number does not appear in the main clause, these words cannot be implied in the modifier that ends the sentence.
The OA implies the following comparison:
Fewer [people have been killed by the great white shark] than [people] have been killed by bee stings.
Understood the intended meaning. BUT could you please shed light on how the ACTUAL SC would look like with ELLIPSIS at play ?

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies-fewer than [...] have been killed by bee stings -- what phrase is EXACTLY dropped in the [RED] portion,considering the above intended comparison ?

Look forward to your feedback.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:27 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Understood the intended meaning. BUT could you please shed light on how the ACTUAL SC would look like with ELLIPSIS at play ?
One purpose of ellipsis -- the omission of words whose presence is understood -- is to convert a sentence into a MODIFIER.
Once the sentence has been converted to a modifier, it might not be possible to reinsert the omitted word(s).

An example from GMAC:
In Hungary, an overwhelming proportion of women work.
Many work in middle management and light industry.

To convert the second sentence into a modifier, the OA omits the verb in red:
In Hungary, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many in middle management and light industry.
In the OA, we cannot reinsert the omitted verb.
The result would be a run-on sentence.

The SC above combines the following two sentences:
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark.
Fewer have been killed by the great white shark than have been killed by bee stings.

To convert the second sentence into a modifier, the OA omits the words in red:
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than have been killed by bee stings.
As with the first example, we cannot reinsert the omitted words.
The result would be a run-on sentence.

Take-away:
When evaluating an answer choice, we may not be able to insert words that are omitted but implied.
In many cases, the result will be an invalid sentence structure.
Rather than worrying about the omitted words, we should focus on identifying concrete errors of grammar and/or meaning.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3