Researchers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Researchers

by sparsh.21 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:32 am
Researchers have announced that the magnetic fields emitted by one manufacturer’s security surveillance system, of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, can interfere with pacemakers and that this interaction can bring on missed or irregular heartbeats,
nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, and even fainting.

A. of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, can interfere with pacemakers and that

B. of which, worldwide, there are 200,000 of that type, and which can interfere with pacemakers, and

C. of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, they can interfere with pacemakers and

D. 200,000 of which type exist worldwide, interfering with pacemakers, and

E. 200,000 of that type existing worldwide and can interfere with pacemakers, and

OA is
D

Please explain the answer ..... and why other options are incorrect.

Re: Researchers

by piyush_nitt » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:34 pm
sparsh.21 wrote:Researchers have announced that the magnetic fields emitted by one manufacturer’s security surveillance system, of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, can interfere with pacemakers and that this interaction can bring on missed or irregular heartbeats,

A. of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, can interfere with pacemakers and that

B. of which, worldwide, there are 200,000 of that type, and which can interfere with pacemakers, and

C. of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, they can interfere with pacemakers and

E. 200,000 of that type existing worldwide and can interfere with pacemakers, and

OA is
D

A. of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, can interfere with pacemakers and that - have announced is the verb of sentence , we don't need another verb.

B. of which, worldwide, there are 200,000 of that type, and which can interfere with pacemakers, and - run on sentence

C. of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, they can interfere with pacemakers and - run on sentence

D and E

If you remove the non - restrictive clause from both D and E , and then read the sentence , E doesnot make sense.

D.Researchers have announced that the magnetic fields emitted by one manufacturer’s security surveillance system, 200,000 of which type exist worldwide, interfering with pacemakers,and that this interaction can bring on missed or irregular heartbeats,
nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, and even fainting

E. Researchers have announced that the magnetic fields emitted by one manufacturer’s security surveillance system, 200,000 of that type existing worldwide and can interfere with pacemakers, and that this interaction can bring on missed or irregular heartbeats,

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sjd00d » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:38 pm
i guess i am still not clear why A is wrong.

by piyush_nitt » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:19 am
sjd00d wrote:i guess i am still not clear why A is wrong.
OK

here is my take

Researchers have announced - 1st main clause

that the magnetic fields emitted by one manufacturer’s security surveillance system - 1st subordinate clause

of which type there are 200,000 worldwide - 2nd Subordinate clause

can interfere with pacemakers and -- ?????

that this interaction can bring on missed or irregular heartbeats,
- 3rd subordinate clause

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:08 am
D should be incorrect...

If D can be rewritten as

200,000 of which type exist worldwide, interfere with pacemakers, and <- correct IMO

can someone help with the question...

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:10 am
Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was
extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty
preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
the
balloon procedure by itself.

A. more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with
ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty
preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is
C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded
by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than
D. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded
with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than
E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded
by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is

by loveusonu » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:54 am
nervesofsteel wrote:Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was
extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty
preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
the
balloon procedure by itself.

A. more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with
ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty
preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is
C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded
by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than
D. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded
with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than
E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded
by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is

Should be A.
Sonu
--------
When you want something desperately, the whole Universe conspires in helping to give it to you - The Alchemist

by loveusonu » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:15 am
sparsh.21 wrote:Researchers have announced that the magnetic fields emitted by one manufacturer�s security surveillance system, of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, can interfere with pacemakers and that this interaction can bring on missed or irregular heartbeats,

OA is
D

A. of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, can interfere with pacemakers and that -->CORRECT: announced that x.. and that y...

B. of which, worldwide, there are 200,000 of that type, and which can interfere with pacemakers, and -->INCORRECT: second 'and' should correspond to main clause and requires 'that'; Also has fragmentation error"

C. of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, they can interfere with pacemakers and -->INCORRECT: they refers to all types, while the sentence doesn't intend to say so"

D. 200,000 of which type exist worldwide, interfering with pacemakers, and -->INCORRECT: comma +ing modifier, modifies the subject of previous clause and here we want to refer to subject of Main clause

E. 200,000 of that type existing worldwide and can interfere with pacemakers, and -->INCORRECT:missing main verb

Whats the source of this question?
Sonu
--------
When you want something desperately, the whole Universe conspires in helping to give it to you - The Alchemist

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 am
I would hate to hear that this is another 1000 SC question or maybe a SET question or a question you picked up off the web. I propose that people cite the source when posting their questions. Not doing so can undermine people's confidence or reinforce in them bad structures that could cost them dearly on exam day

OA= A
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 am
loveusonu wrote:
A. of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, can interfere with pacemakers and that -->CORRECT: announced that x.. and that y...
+1 for A with above expln
I am on a break !!

by subgeeth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:41 am
IMO A
Still working on my dreams best part is I have not achieved one yet !!!!!

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm
Please underline the question....I strongly feel that answer must be A and OA must be wrong....
sparsh.21 wrote:Researchers have announced that the magnetic fields emitted by one manufacturer�s security surveillance system, of which type there are 200,000 worldwide, can interfere with pacemakers and that this interaction can bring on missed or irregular heartbeats,

OA is
D

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:36 pm
kevincanspain wrote:I would hate to hear that this is another 1000 SC question or maybe a SET question or a question you picked up off the web. I propose that people cite the source when posting their questions. Not doing so can undermine people's confidence or reinforce in them bad structures that could cost them dearly on exam day

OA= A

yes i agree... and OA was indeed wrong.. it should be A

by neha.patni » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:01 am
nervesofsteel wrote:
kevincanspain wrote:I would hate to hear that this is another 1000 SC question or maybe a SET question or a question you picked up off the web. I propose that people cite the source when posting their questions. Not doing so can undermine people's confidence or reinforce in them bad structures that could cost them dearly on exam day

OA= A

yes i agree... and OA was indeed wrong.. it should be A
Thank God we got the experts advice and the answer is A...I was just wondering..how it cud be D....

Dear all...please select authentic practise questions...

GMAT Score:700

by ayushiiitm » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 am
Isnt the usage of 'which' ambiguous

Does it refer to magnetic fields or surveillance system?
Success is a journey.....enjoy every moment of it