Material for verbal section

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Material for verbal section

by fhtgmat » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:21 pm
Hi everyone,

This is my first step to beat the gmat. My most weakness, as non native, is in verbal section. Accordingly, need advice for some good books to improve those verbal skill.
Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:39 am
Hi fhtgmat,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:34 pm
From the sounds of your post, it appears that you are just starting out on your GMAT journey. So if you haven't done so already, I suggest that you first familiarize yourself with the GMAT exam and then take an MBA.com practice exam. The results of that exam will give you a good idea of what to expect on the GMAT, a baseline GMAT score, and also an idea of whether you need help in both GMAT quant and verbal.

In regards to GMAT verbal, concentrate on learning one section at a time, reading comprehension, sentence correction, or critical reasoning. Have you been able to study in this way?

For example, when learning about critical reasoning, attempt to master all aspects of critical reasoning before moving on to another section: i.e. master the full range of critical reasoning question types. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within each topic. For example, if you continually have trouble with strengthening arguments based on scientific evidence, you will want to identify and overcome that difficulty. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension.

Also, to help improve your reading comprehension, I recommend reading publications such as the Economist, the New Yorker, Scientific American, or the Smithsonian so you can get used to reading and analyzing long, sophisticated passages that are well written.

To master sentence correction, you must become proficient in the use of grammar rules (e.g. parallelism, subject-verb agreement, comparisons, pronouns, etc.) and accepted English usage. Concentrate on one topic at a time, such as modification, and practice with as many modification questions as you can find. Only after you feel confident with modification should you move to the next topic. In addition to your dedicated study, notice grammar and usage in your everyday life. When you read emails, articles, or even blog posts, pay attention to sentence structure, subject-verb agreement, the use of pronouns, and even punctuation. Use proper grammar in your everyday writing as well. Have you put parallel ideas into parallel constructions? Do all of your pronouns agree with their antecedents?? The more you reinforce your study with related activity outside of your study, the greater the likelihood you will master the topics, and have fun doing so!

Also, instead of using a book for your GMAT prep, I suggest using a self-study course. In comparison to GMAT prep books, self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. By being able to track your progress, you will remain more engaged, and you'll be able to forecast when you are ready to take your real GMAT. If you would like to learn more about what online resources are available, check out the verified course reviews on Beat The GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Good luck!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by fhtgmat » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:39 pm
hi rich,

thanks for your comprehensive information.
I'll back to you once I have done the gmat prep exam.