6 weeks: How to go about the prep?

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

6 weeks: How to go about the prep?

by namangupta17 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:54 am
Hi!
To start off with, i gave a Manhattan mock and scored 640 in it. My target score is 740. I haven't been able to make a good schedule for myself till now. I have done about 200 questions from the Official Guide 2016 (100 quant, 60 CR, 40 SC). Help me out with schedule please?
Thank you in advance!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:20 am
namangupta17 wrote:Hi!
To start off with, i gave a Manhattan mock and scored 640 in it. My target score is 740. I haven't been able to make a good schedule for myself till now. I have done about 200 questions from the Official Guide 2016 (100 quant, 60 CR, 40 SC). Help me out with schedule please?
Thank you in advance!
Do you have any resources devoted to mastering the various q-types? The Official Guide is invaluable, but because every category is jumbled together there, it doesn't provide good opportunities to master a given subject. For most test-takers, it's more beneficial to work through a structured curriculum first, then hit the Official Guide questions, taking intermittent practice tests along the way.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by namangupta17 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:34 am
I have the Manhattan edition 5 guides. All of them. Apart from that I have the both quant and verbal review books. I can't decide how to go about the prep. I am really confused. I think I can get a 740, but need the right guidance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:55 am
Hi namangupta17,

You've defined your score goal, and the current practice materials that you're using, but I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and overall goals:

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Also, when you took this CAT, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by namangupta17 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:05 am
1) I am planning to take the GMAT on 7th or 8th of September 2016.
2) I will apply for a few Masters in Management courses this year and I will also be applying for deferred admissions as well.
3) MIT, Stanford, Yale, HBS, Chicago, CMU etc
I took the CAT around a month back. I did not take the entire CAT. Just the verbal and quant sections. I was confused as to whether I should join an institute for coaching or not. With 640 i thought I had study on my own.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:34 pm
Hi namangupta17,

Since it's been about a month since you took that CAT, and you did not take the ENTIRE CAT in a realistic fashion, then you should plan to take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon. Once you have that score result, you should post back here. You've named some remarkably competitive Schools. Since you have less than 2 months of study time remaining before you plan to take the GMAT, you really need to be efficient with your studies going forward - and having realistic, accurate score information from your CATs is a must.

Rich

by namangupta17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:46 am
So just got 670 in the CAT. I haven't yet booked a particular test date. I want to feel comfortable with my prep before I give it. Second week of september is the upper limit though, for me to give the test. I am willing to work hard, just need to know how to go about it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:27 am
Hi namangupta17,

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources to score 740+. The OG books are great sources for practice questions, but they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials.

1) How many hours do you think you can study during a typical week?

Rich

by namangupta17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:16 am
I can easily devote 20-22 hours a week. Let me know what resources to use apart from helping me figure out a schedule.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:05 pm
Hi namangupta17,

What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on each of those CATs? That information is important as it helps to define the areas that you'll need to work on (so that we can plan your study schedule accordingly).

Rich

by namangupta17 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:21 pm
Q45 V36.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:08 am
Hi namangupta17,

With a Q45, you were likely great at most of the 'math' questions that you faced, but you likely would have made a couple of little mistakes on some 'gettable' questions and you missed out on lots of 'strategy-based' points. The V36 shows that you're strong in the Verbal section overall (you don't have a big 'weak area'), so the missing points that you're looking for in that section will require a bit more analysis on your part - you're missing out on some rarer question types and rarer grammar/idiom rules in SC.

Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so that should fit your general timeline. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich