Kaplan GMAT test score 660, Target score 750

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kaplan GMAT test score 660, Target score 750

by ProfX » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:39 am
Hello, I took the Kaplan free GMAT test recently and got 660 (quant 47, V 33). I am a little disappointed since I thought I'd do better than that. My target is at least 750 with a perfect score in quant. How should I study and for how long? I have the OG and Princeton Review books (3 books). Please help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:40 pm
ProfX wrote:Hello, I took the Kaplan free GMAT test recently and got 660 (quant 47, V 33). I am a little disappointed since I thought I'd do better than that. My target is at least 750 with a perfect score in quant. How should I study and for how long? I have the OG and Princeton Review books (3 books). Please help.
Hi ProfX,

Although 600 is a good start, the best way to determine your current standing is by taking a Full length GMAT Prep Mock CAT.
If you are targeting a perfect Quant score and an overall score of 750+, you need to understand the fundamentals tested on the GMAT.

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.

In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 pm
Hi ProfX,

To start, a 660 is a great initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, and you mentioned in another post how it's been a long time since you studied for a standardized test, it's not clear why you would be disappointed in this initial performance.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and overall goals:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ProfX » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:11 am
1) I skipped the AWA

2) By the end of 2016

3) Want to start next year,2017

It was a little disappointed because I have always been good in quant. GMAT quant is not as hard as some of the Indian entrance exams that I have taken before, and I did very well there. Went to one of the best engineering colleges in India. I also scored a perfect score in GRE quant which is similar to GMAT (GRE score 332). But that was 6 years ago, and I am rusty now. I don't remember the easy formulae and shortcuts. Hence, I am going to have to start from the beginning again.

So basically, overconfidence shattered :D

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:28 am
Hi ProfX,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's at likely what happened here. By skipping the AWA, you took a shorter Exam that required less effort from you, so your score is likely a bit inflated. Given your score goal, you're going to want to be a bit more rigorous with how you take your future CATs.

That having been said, you have plenty of time to study and improve. Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you will likely have to invest in some non-book resources at some point. You can start off with the materials that you have though and we can track your progress (through your future CAT scores).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]