Accounting -> MBA profile Evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Accounting -> MBA profile Evaluation

by syousuf3 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:02 am
Hi I would love to get thoughts on the competitiveness of my profile.

Stats:

GMAT: M
GPA: 3.1ish (general upward trend with really low 2.76 in final year)
Ugrad: Top Canadian School (Bachelors in Accounting)
GMAT: Projecting 690-720 (Aim will be for higher)

Experience:
2 years post ugrad and 8 months internship experience in well known Pharma company (Pfizer, Bayer, GSK) in various accounting / finance roles. Despite having no formal management rotational program for my company in Canada , I have been able to gain exposure and experience in varying roles. I started as a Credit Analyst for 7 months and then shifted to Financial Analyst (budget planning) for 7 months and now have been working as Fixed Asset Accountant for past 10 months. I will be starting a new role in the next month as General Accountant (cost accounting). I have taken on increased responsibilities during my positions and can further elaborate if necessary. I am also pursuing my CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) designation which I should have completed my work experience requirement for by summer 2017 (Exams completed).

Management Experience:
On a high level I have led teams of 3 - 4 people for the entire Fixed asset inventory count for two legal entities across multiple offices/plants in Canada. Also was lead on internal control process change for capitalization of tax costs to capital assets and led the training to colleagues in the Shared Service Center. I am also managing an intern student for a 6 month period but that is the extent of my management experience due to very limited headcount and the majority of transactional accounting being performed in shared service centers overseas.

Recognition:
Received company Award from Tax Dept for exceptional performance on Capital Asset Review Engagement ($500)

EC:
I am a mentor for a Student Organization in my undergrad business school and help current students to navigate through their professional careers and answer questions etc. Also I regularly attend Networking Sessions at the school with other Alumni to help the students develop necessary skills for the business world.
I am also an executive member of Not for profit organization that helps build food baskets for the local community (this past year built over 1000 baskets). I am also a volunteer with national cancer foundation and will become a team lead volunteer in the near future for the different events that we organize during the year.

Target Schools:
Duke
UCLA
Cornell
NYU
Western Ivey
USC

Post MBA Goals:
I would like to use the MBA as a bridge to shift my career from accounting to management consulting. I want to leverage my background to shift towards more high level corporate strategy. I realize there is a gap in my current skill set / knowledge and the MBA will help ease the transition. I networked and made a conscious effort to gain broad experience within my company so that I am dynamic and will have different experiences to draw on in my MBA and post MBA career.

Questions / Concerns
My biggest concern is my gpa as my last year was really low. I will write the optional essay to explain the circumstances around why my performance was so poor. I am hoping that since I passed my professional exams that it might help offset any concerns regarding my intellectual capabilities. I will likely build an alternate transcript with a couple of quant courses. Also even though my changes in position seem lateral, my pay from starting till now has doubled so does that help show progression or no?

I know I am a little early as I do not plan to apply till most likely 2018 but are the schools on my list attainable for my profile ( yes there are some clear reaches and I will need to add couple of safer schools too). What elements of my profile can I strengthen to increase my chances at schools in the 10-20 range. Thanks for all the help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:10 pm
So I assume you will have 3-4 years of experience when you apply, which puts you more within range. You should continue to ramp up your ECs, gaining more leadership and definitely take 2-3 classes and get As, while acing the GMAT. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by syousuf3 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:44 am
Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your analysis and insight! Yes I would have about 4 years experience post undergrad at that point. Taking into consideration your advice for ramping up EC's, acing 2-3 quant courses, and nailing the GMAT (700+), would I have a shot at the list of schools I mentioned? I want to gauge whether I am reaching too much or if I would be competitive for some while having a few stretch schools. Thanks for your help!