Any chance with a GMAT of 620?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Any chance with a GMAT of 620?

by WinnieThePanda » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:42 am
Hi

I gave my first ever GMAT yesterday and got 620. I'm working on retaking the test, but I've been advised to work with this score first.
I know this score won't get me anywhere to my dream school of INSEAD, but will I get in any of the top schools?

I've a combined 5+ years of work experience in Manufacturing + Marketing sector of a major MNC.
Have multiple certifications, a sturdy volunteer work.

I'm looking at landing a job in Singapore post MBA, so what schools should I target and what score?

Thank You

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:37 pm
What that all depends on what you consider a top school? Top 10? Top 20? Top 50? For most schools in the top 10 you will have very little chance at success with a low score like a 620. You probably need to start looking at schools in the 20 to 40 range of the rankings.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:06 pm
Hi Winnie,

If you want to pursue an application in INSEAD you should probably retake the GMAT. However, you can always consider top 20 schools. With your GMAT score, and a differentiated application you will increase your chances to get into one of these programs.

If you need more advice on your MBA application process, visit our youtube channel for more tips or download your Ebook MBA Admissions. 8 Steps to Success!
As GM of MBAitNow I make sure that every client receives the attention they deserve and experience our well-structured approach and process that ensures that they will have the best chances to get accepted at their dream schools.

My team and I had placed clients at MBA programs such as, HBS, SLOAN, ANDERSON, STERN, WHARTON, BOOTH, KELLOGG, HAAS, DARDEN, FUQUA, ROSS, etc.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:33 pm
WinnieThePanda wrote:Hi

I gave my first ever GMAT yesterday and got 620. I'm working on retaking the test, but I've been advised to work with this score first.
I know this score won't get me anywhere to my dream school of INSEAD, but will I get in any of the top schools?

I've a combined 5+ years of work experience in Manufacturing + Marketing sector of a major MNC.
Have multiple certifications, a sturdy volunteer work.

I'm looking at landing a job in Singapore post MBA, so what schools should I target and what score?

Thank You
While it is hard to say exactly without seeing your resume and undergraduate grades, I strongly recommend retaking the GMAT if you are targeting a top school. Even a level below INSEAD would want to see a higher score than 620.

Send me your resume if you want to discuss your situation further as well as strategies for improving the GMAT. [email protected]

www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:35 am
I would advise you to retake the GMAT and aim for something higher. Of course I can't know for sure what your chances are without knowing much more about you, but for most top (not talking top 50, as schools in the top 30 to 50 range might be an option for you even now) schools, 620 simply won't do. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I feel that at this stage, it's better to get a honest reply so you can plan accordingly. So consider retaking, as you already have and try to improve your score as it will increase your chances of admission by a lot!