ISB profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

ISB profile evaluation

by rinki » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:32 am
Hi,

Please go through my profile and provide the feedback.

10th: 90.8 %

12th: 66.2%

B.tech:8.01

GRE Score: 318 (2012)

Working as a Scientist in Ministry of Earth & Science, Govt. of India for the last 5 years.

Have 7 paper publications.

International Experience: 1 month, Italy.

Extra- curriculum:

1.Led the company team in Hindi Drama Competition and bagged "BEST THEME" prize

2.Cleared 5 national competency level exams and have won prizes in state-level competition for Bharatnatyam.

3.Performed 15+ dance shows in various parts of India, since 2011. Choreographed 10+ dance shows. Have compered several events.

6.Co-founded registered NGO, AROH. Conducting dance classes for orphans at AROH. Involved and raised INR 15,000 in fundraising event for AROH- Sagarika 1. Event was featured in Hindu.

7.Worked with AlakhDarbar, NGO to set up orphanage & Make a Difference for their dream camp.

8.Selected among the top 20 people (1% of the total applicants) by Govt. of India for direct recruitment as young scientists in the Min. of Earth Science.

9. Selected among top 10 people from IITM, Min. of Earth Sc. for workshop & training activity at ICTP, Italy.

What are my chances of getting into ISB ?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep1click » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:56 pm
Hi Rinki,
You have some interesting and strong aspects of your profile (academics, extra-curricular involvement, interest for business in spite of being highly technical, your ability to add diversity based on gender, professional background and experience), although there are some areas that would also need to be explored - timeline for your GRE, your reasons for doing an MBA, your long term and short term goals) which you have not explored here.
What skills are you hoping to learn from an MBA, that can be used to propel you through your career? How can ISB help you get there?
My initial opinion is that - your stories would need to be well reasoned, well thought about and be able to relay a consistent life journey. If you are able to address these, I think you stand a solid chance of securing admission to ISB. Another point to keep in mind is not to enlist your strengths but tie them together through a story.
Hope this helps.
Indradeep
Director, OneClickPrep
https://www.oneclickprep.com
+61424853384 (WhatsApp or call)
Study in Australia - https://www.oneclickprep.com/study-and-w ... australia/
Watch our videos and blogs in https://www.oneclickprep.com/admissions-prep/
Using post MBA corporate and consulting experience to bring real world value to MBA Admissions

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:55 pm
A few questions for you Rinki and some thoughts on the profile:
  1. It will be good to understand the GMAT equivalent score - check here. The score does appear to be outside the usual range that ISB accepts and hence a retake would be strongly recommended.
  2. The actual nature of your work is not clear at all. Research is a VERY broad term - feel free to mention what you do actually, achievements and team work experience if any. That, and not just the fact that you were selected for this role, will determine your chances more than anything else.
  3. The next factor to consider is how does an MBA fit in and how do you connect the dots. It could be slightly tricky if your job is in a niche research field. This is the single biggest factor that will determine your overall chances.
  4. Finally, the ECs are pretty impressive and will help. But bear in mind that those are always the supporting cast. First need to get the professional part right.
Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rinki » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:07 am
@mcbMcK & Showmethemantra:

1. Ya I am aware that my GRE score translates to a GMAT score of 660. Still pondering on whether a retake is essential, or do I stand a fair chance otherwise. Would be glad if you can help me in that direction.

2. My major work contribution: Led signal processing team of 2 project scientists & 2 technical assistants, for innovative development of a first of its kind 'Made in India' sonar system. Responsible for conceptualizing, designing, tendering at each stage of the product development. The project was worth INR 15 Cr+ and had huge societal impact (searching crashed airlines in ocean like MH370).Conceptualized in-house design & development that led to cost saving (INR ~10 lakh & INR ~50 lakh respectively). Formed MOU with third parties.Post phase-I completion of project, worked on deals for pitching the product to prospective clients (Navy officials,renowned scientists and private organizations). Instrumental in winning 2 deals.Have published 7+ international publications.
Also Responsible for modeling for climate prediction (Indian monsoon) with statistical tools like regression analysis for big data(affects 2-5 % GDP).

3. Targeting technology product companies.

Cheers !
Thanks in advance.

Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:43 am
Thanks for the follow-on post Rinki.

While we've ourselves worked with and helped folks with low GMAT get in (read here) but as a strategy, we do not recommend it. If not above, you should aim to reach at least at the average GMAT of the school(s) you are targeting.

Your work sounds pretty rich. Assuming this also meant you interacted with government departments/officials, this can be pretty compelling. The post-MBA role will have to be stress-tested and refined though - something you should work at to ensure you can sell the transferable skills well.

Definitely worth a shot so go ahead.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:35 am
rinki wrote:Hi,
Hi @Rinki- from an admissions perspective here is what I see as most compelling to highlight in your interactions with ISB:
.Co-founded registered NGO, AROH. Conducting dance classes for orphans at AROH. Involved and raised INR 15,000 in fundraising event for AROH- Sagarika 1. Event was featured in Hindu.
.Selected among the top 20 people (1% of the total applicants) by Govt. of India for direct recruitment as young scientists in the Min. of Earth Science.

9. Selected among top 10 people from IITM, Min. of Earth Sc. for workshop & training activity at ICTP, Italy.
Please go through my profile and provide the feedback.

What I don't see in this profile is that you need to develop your WHY ISB and WHY MBA. Is there something in your work as a scientist that you can explain to ISB that says why the MBA will help you as you progress in your career? Is there a problem you faced where having the MBA training would have been useful? What is it about the program at ISB that attracts you- I do think HOW you answer that makes a difference in your application chances regardless of GRE score. Best of luck to you!

10th: 90.8 %

12th: 66.2%

B.tech:8.01

GRE Score: 318 (2012)

Working as a Scientist in Ministry of Earth & Science, Govt. of India for the last 5 years.

Have 7 paper publications.

International Experience: 1 month, Italy.

Extra- curriculum:

1.Led the company team in Hindi Drama Competition and bagged "BEST THEME" prize

2.Cleared 5 national competency level exams and have won prizes in state-level competition for Bharatnatyam.

3.Performed 15+ dance shows in various parts of India, since 2011. Choreographed 10+ dance shows. Have compered several events.

6.Co-founded registered NGO, AROH. Conducting dance classes for orphans at AROH. Involved and raised INR 15,000 in fundraising event for AROH- Sagarika 1. Event was featured in Hindu.

7.Worked with AlakhDarbar, NGO to set up orphanage & Make a Difference for their dream camp.

8.Selected among the top 20 people (1% of the total applicants) by Govt. of India for direct recruitment as young scientists in the Min. of Earth Science.

What are my chances of getting into ISB ?