How feasible is 70 additional points in 6 weeks??!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Team,
My result was 530 (IR3, Q25 V38).
I am looking for a 600.
I have the time and motivation to attack this but I am really interested to know what others think in terms of strategy and focus.
A bit of background. ... I completely messed up integrated reasoning- I completely forgot about the calculator and tried to do everything the long way and as a result had at least 5 questions left at the end and I was out of time.

Otherwise I have been using Princeton review only- so perhaps it would be good to build my revised plan on something different.

Thanks for any tips/tricks or ideas :)
Sarah

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:14 pm
SarahMoxon wrote:Hi Team,
I am looking for a 600.
I have the time and motivation to attack this but I am really interested to know what others think in terms of strategy and focus.
A bit of background. ... I completely messed up integrated reasoning- I completely forgot about the calculator and tried to do everything the long way and as a result had at least 5 questions left at the end and I was out of time.

Otherwise I have been using Princeton review only- so perhaps it would be good to build my revised plan on something different.

Thanks for any tips/tricks or ideas :)
Sarah
Adding 70 points is a fairly conservative goal. Most companies offer free resources, so shop around until you find something that feels like a good fit for your learning style.

Here's our app, which includes recorded versions of all of our lessons: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-iphone-apps/

Last, make sure you're taking practice tests on a regular basis - a good part of preparing for the test is tweaking your approach and strategy as you go.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:12 pm
SarahMoxon wrote:I completely messed up integrated reasoning- I completely forgot about the calculator and tried to do everything the long way and as a result had at least 5 questions left at the end and I was out of time.
Remember, also, to use the sorting function for the tables in integrated reasoning. Meanwhile, if you answer seven to nine of the right, meaning at least some harder, questions, in integrated reasoning, you can actually score between 6 and 8 on the section. You don't have to answer all of the integrated reasoning questions.
I am looking for a 600.

I have been using Princeton review only- so perhaps it would be good to build my revised plan on something different.
70 points in 6 weeks is totally doable. Roughly speaking you just need about 7 to 10 more right answers to questions in the quant or verbal section. Since your quant score was the lower of the two section scores, probably you would be best off getting most of the additional right answers in quant.

The best way to drive up your quant score is to work on questions type by type. You can go over any practice tests or practice questions that you have done and see which types you are least comfortable with. Then work on each type, really figuring out what it takes to get answers to that type of question and doing lots of questions of that type until you are an expert at handling it. Then move on to the next type.

Put it this way. If you were to go from kind of shaky to totally expert at handling around ten types of quant questions, your quant score should go up 6 to 10 points, getting you to around 600, or even a little higher.

There are many ways to work on quant questions type by type. To do it pretty much on your own, you could set up a free practice account in the GMAT area here, https://bellcurves.com, and do lots of practice questions. Also, you can get lots of ideas here in the Beat the GMAT Forums, in which the questions are searchable by type. For more guidance, though sometimes using a bit too much or overly complicated math, you could try Target Test Prep.

Also, you can pick up points in quant by just learning to be more accurate in working your way to answers.

To score higher in verbal, get better at seeing the logic of the questions and answer choices. One way to do that is to go through practice questions rather slowly and methodically, seeking to clearly define why each wrong answer is wrong and each right answer is right. In doing that you will develop and eye for the key things that you have to see in order to quickly and correctly answer the questions.

You didn't say whether that 530 score is from the actual GMAT or a practice test. Whatever the case, be sure to use practice tests from the GMAT Prep software offered on mba.com to get practice taking the test, gauge your progress and determine on what to focus in order to increase your score.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:43 pm
Hi Sarah,

Raising a 530 to a 600+ in 6 weeks is absolutely doable, but you'll likely have to make some fundamental changes to how you 'see', and respond to, this Test. I'd like to know a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) When you say that you've been using Princeton Review, what materials have you been using exactly?
3) When did you score 530?

4) What is your next Test Date?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by SarahMoxon » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:35 pm
Hi Rich,
1: My studying so far has been quite sporadic ... Over the last 4 weeks I have done bits here and there. Then one week before the test I focused and tried to cram (which know is not the right approach and is clearly the reason I need to resit.
2. I have the Princeton review question book and the Princeton review 'crack the Gmat' book. I have also only done 2 full practise exams (the two from OG) but I didn't do the whole tests in one sitting- I paused each, completed them at my leisure and skipped the essay on both. So I think that is also an area I can and need to improve. Also the second one I took 3 days before my actual exam.
3. I scored 530 yesterday
4. Pending getting a study plan together- So i need to understand what I need to do make sure my target is realistic I plan to schedule another exam for 6 weeks time.
5. I have a place at the business school I want to attend but I have the outstanding requirement of a 600 on gmat. So if I can get it in 6 weeks then great, if not I will need to defer.

Thanks for your reply- I really appreciate it!
Sarah
Last edited by SarahMoxon on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by SarahMoxon » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:53 pm
Hi Marty,
Thanks for your reply-it is really helpful and your points make sense.

Quant definitely needs to be my focus area. I could tell during my test that I was getting easy questions but I just couldnt get my head into the right place to work the answers through accurately enough or speedily enough.

Your point about looking for aroubd 6-10 additional correct answers is helpful and I am definitely shaky at best- which is infuriating as my job is quite heavy on maths and stats and yet this has thrown me!!

This was my actual Gmat - I sat it yesterday.
I do need to do more tests- I have seen that this is a common thread throughout the forums (I only found it yesterday after realising 'going it alone' as a strategy does not work for me) I actually only completed two practises before my exam. I didn't do a detailed diagnostic at the end as I couldn't see the option to look at anything other than right or wrong on the OG software- how do I work out which categories are causing me most trouble (I have an indication so I could go with that as a start)
Also, I hadn't done a practise in exam conditions before the exam (another strategy error). So I had paused the practises and also ignored the essay!

Sarah

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:38 am
how do I work out which categories are causing me most trouble (I have an indication so I could go with that as a start
Two options:

1) Make a list of categories as you go through your two old practice tests. (Number Properties/Algebra/Rate Questions/Mixture Problems/Combinatorics/etc.) Count the number you missed in each category. If you missed two or more in any category, you've got an issue that must be addressed.

2) Use the enhanced score report that GMAC offers. ($25.) This will offer a more fine-grained analysis of how well you did on various categories on the actual test. (You can see your raw score for Problem Solving questions vs your raw score for Data Sufficiency, etc.)

(Just know that option 2 will often just confirm what you already suspected. Either way, you should definitely break down your practice tests.)

Veritas Prep Reviews

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:04 am
SarahMoxon wrote:Quant definitely needs to be my focus area. I could tell during my test that I was getting easy questions but I just couldnt get my head into the right place to work the answers through accurately enough or speedily enough.

Your point about looking for aroubd 6-10 additional correct answers is helpful and I am definitely shaky at best- which is infuriating as my job is quite heavy on maths and stats and yet this has thrown me!!
Having a math type job and yet finding GMAT quant challenging is pretty common. GMAT quant is not really about math. It's more a reasoning game constructed using math. In one case in which I was coaching a guy who has worked in engineering, when doing questions that one could do in one's head using minimal math, he was going deep into algebra. Part of the reason for his doing that is that in engineering situations often the answers are not neat and logical the way they are on the GMAT. To become better at getting GMAT quant answers, you have to become accustomed to the ways of the GMAT, which is probably rather different from most of what you have been handling at work.
I do need to do more tests- I have seen that this is a common thread throughout the forums (I only found it yesterday after realising 'going it alone' as a strategy does not work for me) I actually only completed two practises before my exam. I didn't do a detailed diagnostic at the end as I couldn't see the option to look at anything other than right or wrong on the OG software- how do I work out which categories are causing me most trouble (I have an indication so I could go with that as a start)
The GMAT Prep tests do not have much in the way of analytics or any way to categorize the questions. You have to go through and figure out the categories yourself. Doing that is totally worthwhile though.

You could get some sense of the categories that you have to work on by taking a Manhattan Prep test - the first one is free - and using the analytics on the site to analyze the test. Really though, I am sure that you can get plenty of information from the GMAT Prep tests that you have already taken.

When you are doing practice questions, focus on learning how to get right answers efficiently. In the beginning you won't necessarily be doing questions quickly though. As you are learning you may take a lot of time per question, as you learn the angles and how to see what you have to see in order to get them right.

To get that 70 points, probably you should go at this project pretty hard. The somewhat bizarre truth is that to hit their GMAT score goals people often get pretty intensely into the project. I can get emails day and night from people as they train for the test, having temporarily put aside things that they would do otherwise. When I was training to hit my goal, I got so into the GMAT. Midnight? Time for some practice questions!!! Hey, if you want to get something done ...

By the way, if you can score V38 with some haphazard training, two things seem to be the case. One is that you definitely already have some of the logical skills necessary for scoring high in both verbal and quant. Also, if you really just need to score 600 on the test, and there is no minimum quant score, maybe with some more intense training you can readily get some more points in verbal. I bet that you could score V42 - V46 without too much trouble. You might as well do at least some verbal work. For one thing, to lock in that 600, you should actually shoot for more like 630, to give yourself some margin for error. So maybe you should take whatever verbal points you can get without too much trouble.

Don't let anything infuriate you. Take a Zen attitude toward the test, and benefit from the opportunity to develop the logical and hacking skills that hitting your score goal requires. Probably you will hit that goal in six weeks. You just have to become more familiar with the test and the types of things that you have to do to get right answers.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

by SarahMoxon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:28 am
Marty,

First things first, I love your comment about taking a Zen attitude to the test. I can absolutely do that and that's going to be my approach!

I understand your comment about GMAT prep tests and the lack of analytics - but I will go back to these and put together my diagnostic. And Manhattan Prep practise seems like a good idea - I did not know there was a free one you could do. I don't mind having to spend some money on this - I just want to make an informed decision based on what is going to work for me as opposed to buying everything under the sun and finding I have wasted my money as the solution is hard work and focus! - if that makes sense!

I think a few more points on verbal should be possible - I got the 38 v. easily (or so it seemed - I did practise but found I picked up many of the principles really quickly and found it easy to apply them - my 38 doesn't seem like a fluke - in the Princeton books I have being doing verbal drills and was achieving 80% across the board), I felt I was getting questions towards the more difficult end of the scale and at the end of the test I had 8 mins left on Verbal. The issue was simply that with the questions I felt were probably from the medium-hard category I have not learnt the rules and could not get my head around what GMAC were looking for from me. One observation was that I felt Princeton didn't cover some of the questions I was seeing on the exam - this could be my perception though and might be more to do with my revision.

I agree that this needs to be a process I commit too - I haven't done this yet - apart from in the 6 days before my test. But I am determined and can definitely put in 6 weeks of hard work and serious focus!

I don't need a minimum quant score- just 600 overall - and your theory about aiming for 630 is sensible as that does give me some space for a few exam nerves - although I have done it once so i'm somewhat comfortable with the process!

I can't tell how helpful it is to have your views on this - I really do appreciate it as I was feeling pretty lost after my result yesterday.

Many thanks!
Sarah

by SarahMoxon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:32 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
Two options:

1) Make a list of categories as you go through your two old practice tests. (Number Properties/Algebra/Rate Questions/Mixture Problems/Combinatorics/etc.) Count the number you missed in each category. If you missed two or more in any category, you've got an issue that must be addressed.

2) Use the enhanced score report that GMAC offers. ($25.) This will offer a more fine-grained analysis of how well you did on various categories on the actual test. (You can see your raw score for Problem Solving questions vs your raw score for Data Sufficiency, etc.)
This is really helpful - particularly your first point around "missed two in a category"
I just needed a bit of structure around my planning and this is great!

I may actually but the GMAC report - simply because this is the most accurate record of tests I have to date. As I mentioned in previous posts I approached the practise tests very casually and I wouldn't call them an accurate record - I will still review them though!

Thanks,
Sarah

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:03 am
SarahMoxon wrote:I don't mind having to spend some money on this - I just want to make an informed decision based on what is going to work for me as opposed to buying everything under the sun and finding I have wasted my money as the solution is hard work and focus! - if that makes sense!
That makes sense!
I think a few more points on verbal should be possible - I got the 38 v. easily (or so it seemed - I did practise but found I picked up many of the principles really quickly and found it easy to apply them - my 38 doesn't seem like a fluke - in the Princeton books I have being doing verbal drills and was achieving 80% across the board), I felt I was getting questions towards the more difficult end of the scale and at the end of the test I had 8 mins left on Verbal. The issue was simply that with the questions I felt were probably from the medium-hard category I have not learnt the rules and could not get my head around what GMAC were looking for from me. One observation was that I felt Princeton didn't cover some of the questions I was seeing on the exam - this could be my perception though and might be more to do with my revision.
I am not really familiar with the Princeton books, but generally speaking harder exam questions tend to be harder than many of the questions that one sees in guide books.

Going forward, when you practice verbal questions, seek to get 90%+ right. Especially toward the beginning of the next six weeks, don't worry to much about how much time you take per question. Make a point of learning to see what you need to see in order to get them right.

When you take the actual test, use pretty much all of the time allotted for verbal.

Check this out. You had about eight minutes left. Let's say you had used those eight minutes to spend a little more time on each of eight verbal questions, and as a result you had gotten all of those eight right. In that case, likely we would not be having this conversation, as probably you would have scored 600+ on the test. While that scenario is maybe not entirely realistic, you get my point. A little extra energy put into verbal, and quant, questions, can make a big difference, and sheer determination to get right answers can put you over the top.
I agree that this needs to be a process I commit too - I haven't done this yet - apart from in the 6 days before my test. But I am determined and can definitely put in 6 weeks of hard work and serious focus!
Exxxcellent. One investment you probably should make, for about 25 USD, is in the e book version, not the more environmentally destructive paper version, of the 2016 Official Guide. You can use the Kindle version without actually having a Kindle, and really all you need is the code for the online question bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Review- ... guide+2016

I bet that if you do every verbal question in that online question bank, carefully, really seeking to see what you have to see and shooting for right answers, close to 100%, you will destroy verbal.

To get some great ideas for getting the right answers to verbal questions, browse these Forums.

Here's some more detail on how to get the right answers to SC questions.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-do-i-mas ... tml#762120

Also, learn to hack those quant questions. The key question is not really "How am I supposed to do this?" but more "What's an efficient way to get the answer to this?"

As with verbal, you can get a lot of quant ideas on these Forums. I bet that even if you were just to get better at figuring out the right answers to data sufficiency questions you would score close to or at your goal level. So check out how the pros on the Forums get answers to data sufficiency questions and do a bunch yourself, getting wicked comfortable with the DS question format.
I can't tell how helpful it is to have your views on this - I really do appreciate it as I was feeling pretty lost after my result yesterday.

Many thanks!
Sarah
Sure thing Sarah. Enjoy the game!
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:25 am
I'll second much of what Marty says here, the advice to be Zen, in particular. (Though it's easier said than done.)

Mindfulness meditation, for example, has been shown to improve standardized test scores: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/

And for some more useful psychological hacks, see here: creatingpositivefutures.com/3-research-based-strategies-for-overcoming-test-anxiety/

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:27 am
Hi Sarah,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet. That having been said, you won't have to correctly answer ANY of the hard/weird questions in the Quant section to hit your score goal. As long as you have the basic math knowledge, can do some standard math by hand and have a bit of math strategy under your belt, you could easily pick up all of the missing points that you're looking for in the Quant section.

Since you've studied primarily from books, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new non-book resources that can properly train you to work in a more strategic way. In addition, you also seem to understand the importance of taking FULL-LENGTH CATs under realistic conditions, so you will have to account for those conditions as you continue to study.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think that you'll be able to study in a typical week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep1click » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:19 pm
Hi Sarah,
I would say even more than 70 points (closer to 100 points) is possible in 6 weeks - if you have the plan, time and dedication, it is not a hard test to crack.
Look at the breakdown in more detail and also think about consistency (has there been trends). If you were to be asked how much do you think you can get on the different sections, do you think you can identify trouble areas and strengths?
I have worked with many students who have improved more than the score above in less than that time. You don't need to be "academic" on GMAT - you need to know the tricks and be smart for the test. Consider taking assistance in individual sections (areas which need improvement). No point in spending a lot of time practicing - you need to drill down questions you get wrong and don't move on till you understand exactly what is wrong - not up to 80% but 100% (the test is if you had to explain to someone the question and how to solve it, could you do it without the OA). Even if that takes 5 minutes, give it that time. The main reason students don't improve their score inspite of time spent is they confuse time spent as learning time spent. You have to learn from the practice and not just practice to tick a box. Then comes the more strategic part of the test - pacing yourself, keeping track, maintaining concentration, managing pressure and expectations and finally, control over nerves.
Hope this helps.
Indradeep
Director, OneClickPrep
https://www.oneclickprep.com
+61424853384 (WhatsApp or call)
Study in Australia - https://www.oneclickprep.com/study-and-w ... australia/
Watch our videos and blogs in https://www.oneclickprep.com/admissions-prep/
Using post MBA corporate and consulting experience to bring real world value to MBA Admissions

by SarahMoxon » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:41 am
Hi Indy,
Thanks for your response - really positive!
I have the motivation to do it and I am clearing my diary to ensure I have the time... so with some focus and smart studying I can do it.

I have looked at me previous 2 practice tests and I if I understand correctly from other posts I can buy the data from my official GMAT test.

I get A LOT of the Statement questions wrong and I think this shows I perhaps am not thinking about these properly. I then grouped categories for my incorrect questions and find that when analysing a total of 40 Quant questions I responded incorrectly to 13 are algebra type questions and after that there are a noticeable number of ratio questions, work rates and coordinate questions where you have to consider slope coordinates. So I think this gives me the framework for my studying.

I definitely relied on the official answers to talk me through the steps previously and I was using this with the thinking that I would then remember the steps and rules - which wasn't the case.

Thanks so much for your response... Iam now going to attack some algebra!
Sarah