GMAT Prep Exam 2: The List of Animals that...

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT Prep Exam 2: The List of Animals that...

by nsuen » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:45 am
Hi

Q: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

A: exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded to include
B exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded and includes
C exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded to include
D exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded to include
E exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded and includes

I thought the list should use exhibits because of animal is prepositional phrase after the list, so I cross of C, D, E, and A is right because the meaning should be has been expanded to include, but the correct answer is D.

Thanks!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:780

by Danny@GMATAcademy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:26 am
You're absolutely right that 'of animals' is a prepositional phrase. So you're right that the main verb should agree with list and not with animals.

BUT the verb connected to list here is 'has been expanded...' (that's the info we're getting about the list.

I think the best way to think about exhibits vs exhibit is to think about meaning. Ask yourself, 'what exhibit(s) a preference for either using the right or left hand? what is the sentence trying to say?

It's definitely not the list itself that wants to be right or left handed. It's the animals.

So exhibit should agree with animals.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:780

by 800_or_bust » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:50 pm
nsuen wrote:Hi

Q: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

A: exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded to include
B exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded and includes
C exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded to include
D exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded to include
E exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded and includes

I thought the list should use exhibits because of animal is prepositional phrase after the list, so I cross of C, D, E, and A is right because the meaning should be has been expanded to include, but the correct answer is D.

Thanks!
The subject is list. The verb will agree in number with the subject, hence the use of exhibit.
800 or bust!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Needgmat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:44 am
Hi Verbals Experts ,

Can you please explain why B is wrong and D is right?

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:43 am
nsuen wrote:The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand ( ie, claw, paw or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

A: the list...that exhibits a preference
B: the list...that exhibits the preference
These options convey a nonsensical meaning:
It is not possible for a LIST to exhibit a preference.
The intended meaning is that THE ANIMALS on the list EXHIBIT a preference.
Eliminate A and B.

either X or Y must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
C and E: either USING...or the LEFT HAND
Here, using and the left hand are not parallel forms.
Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3