nuclear plants

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

nuclear plants

by Needgmat » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:56 am
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

A. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
B While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
C. Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.
D. It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.
E. The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.

OAB

Hi Experts ,

Please explain each options.

Also please explain, why can't we use EXPLETIVE in this sentence?

Thanks in advance,

Kavin

by Needgmat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:26 am
Hi Experts ,

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Kavin

by Needgmat » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 am
Hi Experts ,

Really need your help on my SC questions.

Please reply.

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:38 am
Needgmat wrote:While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

A. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
B While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
C. Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.
D. It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.
E. The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.
A and C: it is the fixed costs
Here, it lacks a clear referent.
Eliminate A and C.

D: nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate
Here, it is unclear whether they serves to refer to nuclear plants or to power plants.
Eliminate D.

E: The cost..is about the same as other types of power plants
Here, the cost is illogically compared to other types of power plants.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is B.
why can't we use EXPLETIVE in this sentence?
One purpose of it is to serve as an EXPLETIVE.
I discuss this usage in my second post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/sentence-str ... 82034.html

A and C: it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants
Here, if it is an expletive serving to stand in for the that-clause in red, the following meaning is conveyed:
That stem from building nuclear plants is the fixed costs.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Needgmat » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:49 pm
A and C: it is the fixed costs
Here, it lacks a clear referent.
Eliminate A and C.

D: nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate
Here, it is unclear whether they serves to refer to nuclear plants or to power plants.
Eliminate D.

E: The cost..is about the same as other types of power plants
Here, the cost is illogically compared to other types of power plants.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is B.
why can't we use EXPLETIVE in this sentence?
One purpose of it is to serve as an EXPLETIVE.
I discuss this usage in my second post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/sentence-str ... 82034.html

A and C: it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants
Here, if it is an expletive serving to stand in for the that-clause in red, the following meaning is conveyed:
That stem from building nuclear plants is the fixed costs.
This meaning is nonsensical.
[/quote]

Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Thank you so much sir. It really helps.

Thanks,

Kavin