Prep-T1-Q68

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Prep-T1-Q68

by kaijen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:10 am
Test1-68. (28179-!-item-!-188;#058&003508)

For the best extraction of the flavor of saffron threads, it should be soaked in liquid after being pounded with a mortar and pestle.

(A) For the best extraction of the flavor of saffron threads, it should be soaked in liquid after being pounded
(B) To best extract their flavor, saffron threads should be soaked in liquid after pounding
(C) The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads is soaking them in liquid after being pounded
(D) The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads is to soak them in liquid after pounding them
(E) The flavor of saffron threads can best be extracted by soaking it in liquid after pounding it

Ans:(D)

I don't know why B is wrong?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by camitava » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:44 am
Kaijen, request you to use Spoiler to post ur answer! However,
For the best extraction of the flavor of saffron threads, it should be soaked in liquid after being pounded with a mortar and pestle.

(A) For the best extraction of the flavor of saffron threads, it should be soaked in liquid after being pounded
(B) To best extract their flavor, saffron threads should be soaked in liquid after pounding
(C) The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads is soaking them in liquid after being pounded
(D) The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads is to soak them in liquid after pounding them
(E) The flavor of saffron threads can best be extracted by soaking it in liquid after pounding it
Man I dnt know why u r sayin B is fine to u. Look in B, the problem lies in "To best". It can not be like this. Generally as far as I know we are bound use TO before any superlative of an adjective or adverb. So the only option comes as THE. C is in present continuous tense and D is using BEST wrongly. So to me, D is fine. And C should be according to my understanding!
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Preetics » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:41 pm
saffron threads is plural. so the pronoun needs to be plural. This eliminates A and E. Being makes for wordy consruction of sentence. So this eliminates C (A already eliminated) As for B it is not clear what is being pounded-also seems incomplete. The answer choice left is D-the only choice which is grammatically correct and clear.

Hope this helps!

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:57 am
IMO:D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vidyame » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:21 am
D is right.

(A) For the best extraction of the flavor of saffron threads, it should be soaked in liquid after being pounded - singular pronoun it refers to plural noun threads
(B) To best extract their flavor, saffron threads should be soaked in liquid after pounding - best is adjective modifying a verb extract
(C) The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads is soaking them in liquid after being pounded - "being" is present participle used as adjective, it cannot be used as verb
(D) The best way to extract the flavor from saffron threads is to soak them in liquid after pounding them -correct
(E) The flavor of saffron threads can best be extracted by soaking it in liquid after pounding it - singular pronoun it refers to plural noun threads

by vietmoi999 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:21 am
why B is wrong is the fatal problem

experts, pls, help
If anyone in this gmat forum is in England, pls email to me([email protected]) . I have some problems and need your advise. Thank a lot

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by aflaam » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:52 pm
thx

GMAT Score:750

by Nina1987 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:13 am
I have read many different things regarding why B is wrong and I am just confused. Can some expert/Mitch explain what is definitely wrong with B? Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:54 am
Nina1987 wrote:I have read many different things regarding why B is wrong and I am just confused. Can some expert/Mitch explain what is definitely wrong with B? Thanks
Here is the version created using choice B.

To best extract their flavor, saffron threads should be soaked in liquid after pounding with a mortar and pestle.

There are two issues that jump out at me.

The first is that To best extract their flavor should modify what someone is doing to the saffron threads.

For example, To best extract their flavor, you should soak saffron threads ...

Alternatively you could have To best extract their flavor, soak the saffron threads ...

The way it is written, the sentence in a way conveys that saffron threads themselves are the ones extracting the flavor.

To best extract their flavor, saffron threads should ...

I see that there is some discussion of whether best can be used to modify extract. While I think that doing that is ok, I am not sure and I am not going to worry about it. I found a clear decision point to work with.

Also, there is another issue later in the sentence.

... saffron threads should be soaked in liquid after pounding with a mortar and pestle.

Who is doing the pounding and what is being pounded are not clear, and if anything the sentence seems to convey that the saffron threads are the ones pounding.

So there you have it. Looking for little grammar issues is not really the path to seeing why B is not correct. You have to look at the entire sentence created using the answer choice and see what meaning is conveyed.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by danielle07 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:50 am
B isn't the correct answer to it because it is incomplete in sense. The sentence should give exact meaning for it is an instruction. The best answer to that question is letter D, it is complete in sense.