MBA ambitions after graduating with a second degree

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

About 2 years ago I graduated from one of the top universities in the middle east with a B.E in Civil Engineering with a 2.6 GPA. I had made a lot of mistakes in college and had a feeling of regret about not doing better.

I had the ambition to have a career in investment banking, I wanted to get into a good MBA program to realise that dream and with my GPA that simply wasn't possible.

So I decided to do a second degree in Business Administration in the same university and here I am 2 years later. I was able to raise my GPA to 3.3, I passed Levels I and II of the CFA while working for my business degree and I already have a 740 on the GMAT. (I've also taken some courses on edX with certifications, worked part time at a trading desk and volunteered in teaching math to Syrian refugees during the last year.)

I am currently working in a good regional investment bank and I plan to stay for around 2 years before applying for business school.

My target schools are:

London Business School
University of California at Berkeley: Haas
Northwestern University: Kellogg
Cornell University: Johnson
New York University: Stern
UCLA: Anderson

Do I have a chance with the path I took? I keep hearing conflicting views on a second degree but I think it shows how I've grown up since my first Bachelors and how determined I am to get into a good school and build a great career.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:23 am
Hi Joe,
Interesting dilemma! You're right that a 2.6 wouldn't get you into most top MBA programs, and IMO it was a good move to get a second Bachelor's - some people opt for a light Master's to address the same sort of issue -- but I have no reason, drawing on my experience, to think this will be an automatic deal-breaker for top business schools. Adding that terrific GMAT to the mix enhances your credibility; however, the edX courses don't carry much weight with admissions.

You'll definitely need to explain your decision and what you got out of it. Your admissions readers will most likely assume you had some kind of maturity/adjustment issue during your first undergrad, so you will want to explain this in a frank, "just the facts" optional essay.

Now, where does that leave you for the schools on your list? Community leadership, such as your work with Syrian refugees, will be an asset (recruiting and leading teams of volunteers from your workplace would add even more value). International exposure is unclear here, so emphasize whatever cross-border experience you have, either as a student or professionally.

It sounds like you plan to apply in, say, 2017, so you can spend the next year strengthening your work leadership and community service, and traveling to the US and UK to visit the campuses on your list. Taking this time to build strong roots in MBA-land will enhance your chances and help offset any confusion caused by your educational path. With clear essays, strong leadership and well-researched school choices, my opinion is that you should be fine with the schools on your list.

One last comment: it's not clear how old you are, but try not to delay your application past the age of 27 or 28, because at that point age starts to become a statistical factor in admissions. Not a deal-breaker, just a minor speed-bump that is best avoided if possible.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me