MBA aspirant with an unusual background

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA aspirant with an unusual background

by solomonking » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:18 am
Hi! I am an MBA aspirant from India. I am very interested in pursuing an MBA from a good B-school either in India or abroad. My unique situation is that I have very less post-degree experience as I took a long break from studies after graduating from high school, although I do have some pre-graduate work experience.

Education:-
1. Bachelor of Arts with 65% in 2015 December (Distance Education).
2. Graduated from high school in 2008 with 86% in Commerce & Accounting, Economics. Then I took a long break from study until 2013 January when I enrolled in a B.A. program distance mode.

Work Experience:-(Full-time)
1. 2008 to 2011 Freelance computer graphic designer. Approximately 3 years.
2. 2011 to 2014 Voluntary work in an orphanage where I would oversee orphan children and make sure they get ready for school in time, do their homework, eat well, etc. Approximately 3 years.
3. 2014 to present, Medical transcriptionist at a firm based in India. 2 years.

GMAT:-I am planning to take the GMAT in 6 months from now and will try to do well. My target is a score of 700.

Post MBA-Goals:-Short-term:-To initially work in an international company either in finance, consulting, strategy, human resources, etc. My long-term goal is to become an entrepreneur. I have some good business ideas which I want to work on and I think an MBA will help me a lot in the process of achieving my goals.

Target Schools;- I am looking at the list of schools in FT and QS MBA rankings in India/Canada/Europe (I am starting from the bottom of the list). Do you think I stand a chance at obtaining admission to a reputed MBA program? What else could I add to my profile in order to increase my chances apart from a good GMAT score? I am planning to do short-term certificate courses in fields like Investment banking, business consulting, business fundamentals, etc., as pre-requisites for MBA and to increase my post-MBA employability in these areas. I want to know if taking such courses will help me become more acceptable to MBA programs. I am looking forward to hear your valuable suggestions. Thank you.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:01 pm
Hi Solomon,

I think you have a chance to apply to top 20 MBA programs in the USA. Other than getting a 700+ score on your GMAT, you would have to create a profile that will differentiate you from the rest of the applicants. I think you can achieve it with your background.

Since you want to become and entrepreneur I would recommend the following programs:
  • Babson
    Stanford
    HBS
    UCLA
    USC
    University of Texas McCombs
Why don't you sign up for a FREE consultation, and we can talk further about your choices and how you can make your application stand out.

Best,
As GM of MBAitNow I make sure that every client receives the attention they deserve and experience our well-structured approach and process that ensures that they will have the best chances to get accepted at their dream schools.

My team and I had placed clients at MBA programs such as, HBS, SLOAN, ANDERSON, STERN, WHARTON, BOOTH, KELLOGG, HAAS, DARDEN, FUQUA, ROSS, etc.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:54 am
Thanks for sharing.

You would also need to address why you took long breaks, what you did during these breaks and how they have helped you develop. For your post-MBA goals, it would help to narrow them a bit to show more focus, choose those that fit more with your background, and demonstrate how an MBA from your target school would help you achieve this goal.

All the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!