OG16-51 VerbING part refers to which noun in a sentence?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I don't understand verbING refers to the true subject in the sentence? OR verbING refers to a noun that next to it? Thanks

OG16-51
Neuroscientist, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development for birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.
(A)Correct
(D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,
(OG explanation D, the final descriptor in present tense now drawing conclusions...does not fit the opening clause, which is in present-perfect tense (have amassed a wealth..) and seems to modify adulthood.)
My question is why drawing here is modifying adulthood rather than Neuroscientists?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:32 am
sunh0003 wrote:OG explanation D, the final descriptor in present tense now drawing conclusions...does not fit the opening clause, which is in present-perfect tense (have amassed a wealth..) and seems to modify adulthood.)
My question is why drawing here is modifying adulthood rather than Neuroscientists?
The OE for D is incorrect.
A COMMA + VERBing modifier serves to refer to the PRECEDING SUBJECT and expresses an action that is CONCURRENT WITH the preceding action.

D: Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years, now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.
Here, now drawing seems to refer to neuroscientists -- the preceding subject -- implying that neuroscientists are NOW DRAWING conclusions at the same time as an action that took place in the PAST (the amassing of knowledge over the past twenty years).
This sequence is illogical.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:49 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:implying that neuroscientists are NOW DRAWING conclusions at the same time as an action that took place in the PAST (the amassing of knowledge over the past twenty years).
Hello GMATGuruNY, had a related question. Wanted your opinion on this sentence:

Edward studied at St.Patrick's, graduating with distinction.

Here again, graduating with distinction happened later, while Edward studied at St.Patrick's in the past.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:41 am
bonetlobo wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:implying that neuroscientists are NOW DRAWING conclusions at the same time as an action that took place in the PAST (the amassing of knowledge over the past twenty years).
Hello GMATGuruNY, had a related question. Wanted your opinion on this sentence:

Edward studied at St.Patrick's, graduating with distinction.

Here again, graduating with distinction happened later, while Edward studied at St.Patrick's in the past.
The sentence above is incorrect.
On the GMAT, a COMMA + VERBing action must be CONTEMPORANEOUS with the preceding action.
Since the act of GRADUATING did not happen when Edward STUDIED, the sentence above is not viable.

A similar error can be found in SC29 in the OG15.
Check my post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/emily-dickin ... 21769.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bubblehead0922 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:50 am
Thx for your explanation. I had exact the same confusion. I like your explanation than OE.
GMATGuruNY wrote:
sunh0003 wrote:OG explanation D, the final descriptor in present tense now drawing conclusions...does not fit the opening clause, which is in present-perfect tense (have amassed a wealth..) and seems to modify adulthood.)
The OE for D is incorrect.
A COMMA + VERBing modifier serves to refer to the PRECEDING SUBJECT and expresses an action that is CONCURRENT WITH the preceding action.

D: Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years, now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.
Here, now drawing seems to refer to neuroscientists -- the preceding subject -- implying that neuroscientists are NOW DRAWING conclusions at the same time as an action that took place in the PAST (the amassing of knowledge over the past twenty years).
Eliminate D.