which B-School?; Indian , Male, 43 yrs, 20 yrs military ex.

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I am am Indian citizen and am presently serving in military in senior middle management role. I plan to change career after 20 years of service (compulsory under permanent commission) . I wish to do MBA from one of the worlds best schools but I am not sure which ones would like to consider my application favorably.

I graduated as engineer in electronics and communications engineering in year 1996 with 8.7 CPI (scale of 10). There after I joined Military.

In service during training I was in top 5% and received system of my choice to work on. Got engaged in maintenance management of fighter Aircraft. Graduated from O -Level (field level)to I-Level (in hangar detailed maintenance) maintaining an old fleet of ageing Aircraft. Worked against odds to keep them flying using best critical path and project management techniques to raise productivity of those under me (team of 250 technicians). My efforts were appreciated by Chief of Air Staff.

I also diversified my skills under military norms to manage Airfield Services (electronic equipment) as overall in-charge with a team of 50. I learned differences and soon build a robust infrastructure (within limited resources) to provide services all time and meet all users expectations from equipment.

Nine ears back I was chosen for a transformation project within organisation which is basically an MRO/EAM implementation to help better manage assets and their maintenance programs providing visibility and ensuring accountability. I worked from initial stage of generating interest among vendors, to RFP formulation, to technical evaluation , contract negotiation and now I am working on pilot implementation.

I have also done post graduation in engineering in year 2005-07 from one of India's best Indian Institute of Technology, where I was third in department with 9.34 CGPA.

I had earlier taken GMAT in 2012 and scored 690 ...I am planning to re-take GMAT and am targeting a higher score and feel it is achievable. My only trouble is which schools to target and to understand if my focus and efforts are in right direction. I find myself at crossroads and need direction.

I was considering MIT Sloan, Kellogg, Duke , Darden, IMD, IE, HEC

From one of the school on my initial inquiry I got a clear message that application of a candidate with my sort of experience is unlikely to be considered for full time MBA and suggested Executive MBA. Staying in India I can not meet many of the part time requirements of executive MBA and many best schools just don't have them in India. Further, Its going to be a big change in career for me I am keen to absorb needs of business world and a global perspective by being full time immersed in the course curriculum.. Post MBA I feel I may be most suitable in general management function and can easily become effective in tech company. Strategy and operations attract me but I still need to understand their full expectations in business world.

Please advice, is it worthwhile to try...

regards

Avadhesh

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:03 pm
Hi Avadhesh,

Usually for people that have more than 7+ years of working experience is recommended to apply to an Executive program. However, if you think that you don't meet all the requirements for an Executive MBA there is always the option of a Global MBA. It is more flexible and will help you in your career change as well.

You have a really rich and interesting profile. We can review your profile for both programs and apply to Columbia, Berkeley, and MIT for the Executive MBA, or to Wharton, INSEAD and HBS for the Global MBA.

If you want to start your profile review to find the perfect program fit, we offer a FREE Consultation.
As GM of MBAitNow I make sure that every client receives the attention they deserve and experience our well-structured approach and process that ensures that they will have the best chances to get accepted at their dream schools.

My team and I had placed clients at MBA programs such as, HBS, SLOAN, ANDERSON, STERN, WHARTON, BOOTH, KELLOGG, HAAS, DARDEN, FUQUA, ROSS, etc.