Exponent Practice

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Exponent Practice

by sgraves » Tue May 31, 2016 10:05 am
Any good resources that have practice Exponent questions? My Arithmetic is still causing me to get exponent questions wrong.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue May 31, 2016 10:48 am
To help you focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as powers & roots questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... -and-roots

You can also go to our Powers and Roots module (https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat ... -and-roots) to find tons of questions on that topic.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue May 31, 2016 7:23 pm
Hi sgraves,

I'm hoping that you can add a bit more detail to your original post. Why EXACTLY are you getting exponent questions wrong? Do you know the exponent rules involved? Are you making little math mistakes? How often do you find yourself reviewing an exponent question that you got wrong and thinking "I should have gotten this correct..."?

If you'd like expert advice on any individual question, then you should post them in the Quant Forums (or Google them - they've probably been discussed).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sgraves » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:50 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi sgraves,

I'm hoping that you can add a bit more detail to your original post. Why EXACTLY are you getting exponent questions wrong? Do you know the exponent rules involved? Are you making little math mistakes? How often do you find yourself reviewing an exponent question that you got wrong and thinking "I should have gotten this correct..."?

If you'd like expert advice on any individual question, then you should post them in the Quant Forums (or Google them - they've probably been discussed).

Rich
The rules are giving me trouble. I see the problem and freeze up. I have been doing practice problems out of the Manhattan Foundations of Math book but when I get to OG and CAT problems I end up getting them wrong.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:23 pm
Hi sgraves,

Now that you've defined the immediate issue (the 'rules' to Exponent questions), we can start to work on that. As a concept, Exponent questions don't show up too often on Test Day (not counting Quadratics and basic exponents, such as Squared terms, you'll likely see just 2-3 questions on the subject). As such, the number of specific Exponent rules that you might face is also limited. At the basic level, are you comfortable explaining Exponent rules to another person?

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:15 pm
I'd look to some non-GMAT resources too: Purple Math will give you the theory, and any Algebra I class will give you LOTS of drills.