Low IR

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Low IR

by Gmatasap » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:26 pm
I have been getting very low scores in IR. Can you suggest me any materials I could go through to improve.
Following are the scores I have been getting:

GMATPrep Test I
IR4
Q50
V32
Total 710

GMATPrep Test II
IR 8 (All the questions were repeated form Test I)
Q48
V38
Total 710

Manhattan Prep
IR 3.03
Q46
V38
Total 690

I have been working on improving the V and Q sections, I have required materials to do it.
But I can any one please suggest me the materials I could go through to improve my IR.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:02 am
Hi Gmatasap,

Many Business Schools have publicly stated that they do not use an applicant's IR score when evaluating an application, so you likely have nothing to be concerned about. However, if you're interested in what a specific School/Program thinks about the IR score, then you should research that School directly (you might also consider contacting the School to ask).

1) Have you taken each of these CATs in full (including the Essay section)?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Gmatasap » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:03 pm
Dear Rich,

Thankyou for your reply. Please consider the following answers to your questions.

1) Have you taken each of these CATs in full (including the Essay section)?

Yes. Full Length. All of them.

2) What is your goal score?

Any thing required for Top Tier Schools. Anything above 720 will do. :) but I my target score is 750( I wish)

3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

I have not taken the date yet, but I plan on taking it in the third week of July. a little over 1 month remains.

4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
I will be applying for schools for courses starting 2017, but if I dont get the scores as expected, I will retake another exam 1 month latter and apply to the colleges for 2017 if I have enough time, if not even 2018 is good for me.

Lastly, I dont want to avoid the IR scores, I want to improve them. Could you please let me know the materials I could follow to better my IR scores.

Thankyou.

Gmatasap

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:34 pm
There are some integrated reasoning questions here.

https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gma ... types.aspx

Remember to use the sorting function when you are working with tables.

By the way, you only have to get 8 or 9 right to score 7 or 8, as long as you get some of the harder ones right.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:52 am
Hi Gmatasap,

As a test of your skills, IR has a lot in common with CR. Some IR prompts will require calculations, but much of what is required to handle an IR question is your ability to understand the logic involved and a certain amount of time to hunt down information. This is all meant to say that improving in CR will likely help you in your IR performance as well.

Since your IR scores have fluctuated, have you defined anything in particular about the types of IR questions that you get wrong or WHY you're getting questions wrong (are you making little mistakes or do you not understand the questions that are asked?).?

Rich

by Gmatasap » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:33 am
Dear Rich,

I generally get one among the three sub questions wrong. I think, I take more time than I am allowed to at the beginning and than, I try to finish up every thing hurriedly latter and get the things wrong. Most of my mistakes are little ones, but those are the most troubling type of errors, because they are very difficult to improve upon.
"This is all meant to say that improving in CR will likely help you in your IR performance as well. "
The paradox here is CR is the strongest point in my Verbal, so time must be the issue.

I searched for materials online and found some pretty helpful ones. I hope they help me increase my IR scores.

Gmatasap

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:59 am
Hi Gmatasap,

By definition, most mistakes that the average Test Taker makes are going to be silly/little mistakes - but those mistakes ARE 'fixable' (however, you have to choose to do the necessary work to eliminate them from how you approach those IR questions). The solution is almost always a bit more note-taking (and in the long run, note-taking actually SAVES time, so it can help improve your pacing as well).

1) When answering IR questions, how often do you take notes (and how often do you just do the work "in your head?")?

Rich