least possible score a team could have earned

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
For a certain race, 3 teams allowed to enter 3 members each. A team earned 6-n points whenever one of its team members finished in nth place, where 1<equal n <equal 5 . There were no ties, disqualifications, or withdrawals. If no team earned more than 6 points, what is the least possible score a team could have earned?

A) 0

B) 1

C) 2

D) 3

E) 4

OAD

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun May 15, 2016 2:47 am
For a certain race, 3 teams were allowed to enter 3 members each. A team earned 6-n points whenever one of its members finished in nth places, where 1≤n≤5. there were no ties, disqualifications, or withdrawals. If no team earned more than 6 points, what is the least possible score a team could have earned?
nth place = 6-n points.
Thus:
1st place = 6-1 = 5 points.
2nd place = 6-2 = 4 points.
3rd place = 6-3 = 3 points.
4th place = 6-4 = 2 points.
5th place = 6-5 = 1 point.

Let the 3 teams be A, B and C.

To MINIMIZE the number of points that Team C could earn, we must MAXIMIZE the number of points that Teams A and B earn.
The maximum allowed total per team = 6.
It's possible that Team A wins 1st and 5th places (for a total of 6 points) and that Team B wins 2nd and 4th places (for a total of 6 points) -- the MAXIMUM allowed sum for each team.
Thus, the MINIMUM number of points that could be earned by team C -- winning only 3rd place -- is 3.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun May 15, 2016 4:44 am
The GMAT loves min/max questions. See here for another one: https://www.beatthegmat.com/5-pieces-of- ... 69883.html
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun May 15, 2016 9:16 am
Hi jain2016,

Mitch's explanation for this question is spot-on, so I won't rehash any of that here. Instead, I want to focus on the 'design element' of most GMAT questions.

While the 'math' involved in most Quant questions is usually fairly straight-forward (low-to-mid level Arithmetic, Algebra or Geometry, in most cases), the questions themselves usually involve 3-5 'steps.' The steps themselves are usually not individually all that complex, but you do have to go through them to be sure that you have the correct answer. If you find yourself thinking "oh, the answer is obviously ____, and I don't have to write anything down....", then you might be correct, but there's a decent possibility that you're NOT. That choice - whether to do work on the pad or not - is pivotal to your performance throughout the Test. Your goal should be to do efficient, organized and strategic work on EVERY question - since that's what will help you get a high score and those are skills that Business Schools are looking for in their applicants.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Mon May 16, 2016 5:14 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
For a certain race, 3 teams were allowed to enter 3 members each. A team earned 6-n points whenever one of its members finished in nth places, where 1≤n≤5. there were no ties, disqualifications, or withdrawals. If no team earned more than 6 points, what is the least possible score a team could have earned?
nth place = 6-n points.
Thus:
1st place = 6-1 = 5 points.
2nd place = 6-2 = 4 points.
3rd place = 6-3 = 3 points.
4th place = 6-4 = 2 points.
5th place = 6-5 = 1 point.

Let the 3 teams be A, B and C.

To MINIMIZE the number of points that Team C could earn, we must MAXIMIZE the number of points that Teams A and B earn.
The maximum allowed total per team = 6.
It's possible that Team A wins 1st and 5th places (for a total of 6 points) and that Team B wins 2nd and 4th places (for a total of 6 points) -- the MAXIMUM allowed sum for each team.
Thus, the MINIMUM number of points that could be earned by team C -- winning only 3rd place -- is 3.

The correct answer is D.
Hi GMATGuru,

I do not understand how the maximum allowed total per team = 6. what is the scenario if All team A takes the first 3 places and Team B takes the bottom 2 places?

I have calculated this as follows:

A team members can be in 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. So total points should be 5+4+3=12
B team members can be in 44th and 5th places. So total =3

Can you please clarify??

Thanks

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon May 16, 2016 7:14 am
I do not understand how the maximum allowed total per team = 6.
Reread the prompt: If no team earned more than 6 points, what is the least possible score a team could have earned?

Veritas Prep Reviews

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Mon May 16, 2016 2:54 pm
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
Reread the prompt: If no team earned more than 6 points, what is the least possible score a team could have earned?
yes, you are right. Rush reading leading to that question.

thanks for pointing out.

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon May 16, 2016 5:29 pm
Mo2men wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
yes, you are right. Rush reading leading to that question.

thanks for pointing out.
Always worth it to reread questions, just to be safe :)

Veritas Prep Reviews

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rindam » Tue May 17, 2016 2:53 am
I think 4 should be the there is no tie..so team a and b can not have same score 6..so if we maximize score team a got 6 b 5 then c is left with 4..Pls let me know if I miss anything

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue May 17, 2016 4:06 am
rindam wrote:I think 4 should be the there is no tie..so team a and b can not have same score 6..so if we maximize score team a got 6 b 5 then c is left with 4..Pls let me know if I miss anything
The no-tie restriction applies to individual placement in the race, not to the total number of points a team has accumulated. In other words, there cannot be two fourth-place finishers in the race, etc. (But, rest assured, you are not the first to have had this confusion.)

Veritas Prep Reviews