CR: The government has made great strides

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

CR: The government has made great strides

by netcaesar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:58 am
I do not understand the following CR. Please, justify your answers (not only IMO):

The government has made great strides in implementing immunization in public school systems despite its cost. When all children are properly immunized, we will be able to ensure their health.

Which of the following identifies an assumption in the author's argument?

A) Only public schools require immunization.
B) Children are not already properly immunized.
C)If not immunized, most children will fall victim to disease.
D) Immunization is effective enough to justify its cost to the taxpayer.
E) Immunization is the only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
netcaesar wrote:I do not understand the following CR. Please, justify your answers (not only IMO):

The government has made great strides in implementing immunization in public school systems despite its cost. When all children are properly immunized, we will be able to ensure their health.

A) Only public schools require immunization.
B) Children are not already properly immunized.
C)If not immunized, most children will fall victim to disease.
D) Immunization is effective enough to justify its cost to the taxpayer.
E) Immunization is the only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health.

I think its 'E' whats the answer BTW...

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:08 am
IMO E
Explanation:
Immunization is the only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health.

Argument :When all children are properly immunized, we will be able to ensure their health.

Please note the connection between the terms "ensure" and guarantee.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by netcaesar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:50 pm
OA is E

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by tom4lax » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:33 pm
For assumption questions, use the negation technique.

Answer is E because if we insert "not" into the answer, the argument becomes invalid.

E) Immunization is the "Not the" only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health.

Argument now makes no sense, therefore it is necessary.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by srivas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:45 pm
all children are properly immunized, we will be able to ensure their health

from above statement we can say

Immunization is the only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health.[/b]
Gmat710,, Hyd

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by crackgmat007 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:05 pm
Why did you guys eliminate B? what were the reasons?

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:42 pm
I agree..B is a valid assumption.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ambarish_ranade » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:10 pm
where does argument seem to indicate it is the "only"
precaution necessary?

netcaesar wrote:I do not understand the following CR. Please, justify your answers (not only IMO):

A) Only public schools require immunization. It is not said anywhere. So we can't assume it.B) Children are not already properly immunized. They are immunized, right? That's what is given in CR.
C)If not immunized, most children will fall victim to disease. This is a trap. However, I think that it's not the point that they will fall victim to disease. However, we can keep this in our possible bucket of answers and look for other choices.
D) Immunization is effective enough to justify its cost to the taxpayer.Where did taxpayer come from? Out of Scope.
E) Immunization is the only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health.Bang on target! They say that "When all children are properly immunized, we will be able to ensure their health." It means that indirectly, they are saying that immunization is the only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health and this option seems better than C because this is more direct and not too far away from the context of CR
Let me put my two cents here. I have explained my point of view in the quote. Let me know if there is any question. I am bad in explaining things :D

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:690
@riteshbindal

B) Children are not already properly immunized. They are immunized, right? That's what is given in CR.
Not sure if the stimulus states that children are already immunized. b]'when' [/b] in the second sentence indicates that children are yet to be immunized.

When all children are properly immunized, we will be able to ensure their health.

IMO
Immunization --> will ensures health.

What if children are already properly immunized? If yes, it indicates that the cause and effect need not be true.

Not convinced that the argument has to assume that immunization is the only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health. This sounds an extreme answer choice.

Experts pls clarify. Tx.

@netcaesar, what is the source of this interesting CR?

Legendary Member
Just my two cents -

Argument mentions that "When all children are properly immunized, we will be able to ensure their health."

So the most valid assumption seems to be that the children are not properly immunized. I guess option E is way too extreme.
riteshbindal wrote:

A) Only public schools require immunization. It is not said anywhere. So we can't assume it.B) Children are not already properly immunized. They are immunized, right? That's what is given in CR.
C)If not immunized, most children will fall victim to disease. This is a trap. However, I think that it's not the point that they will fall victim to disease. However, we can keep this in our possible bucket of answers and look for other choices.
D) Immunization is effective enough to justify its cost to the taxpayer.Where did taxpayer come from? Out of Scope.
E) Immunization is the only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health.Bang on target! They say that "When all children are properly immunized, we will be able to ensure their health." It means that indirectly, they are saying that immunization is the only precaution necessary to guarantee a child's health and this option seems better than C because this is more direct and not too far away from the context of CR
Let me put my two cents here. I have explained my point of view in the quote. Let me know if there is any question. I am bad in explaining things :D

by khanshainur » Mon May 16, 2016 12:15 am
I believe the answer should be E