Shade

This topic has expert replies
MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

Shade

by gmat740 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:29 am
A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that uses cutting blades with optical sensors and microprocessors that distinguish weeds from crop plants by differences in shade of color. The inventor of the machine claims that it will reduce labor costs by virtually eliminating the need for manual weeding.

Which of the following is a consideration in favor of the company’s implementing its plan to develop the prototype?

A. There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species.
B. The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.
C. When crops are weeded manually, overall size and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds.
D. Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.
E. Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.

OA – D
Imo E:

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:630

Re: Shade

by gmatstud » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:06 am
gmat740 wrote:A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that uses cutting blades with optical sensors and microprocessors that distinguish weeds from crop plants by differences in shade of color. The inventor of the machine claims that it will reduce labor costs by virtually eliminating the need for manual weeding.

Which of the following is a consideration in favor of the company’s implementing its plan to develop the prototype?

A. There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species.
B. The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.
C. When crops are weeded manually, overall size and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds.
D. Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.
E. Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.

OA – D
Imo E:
I arrived to D by POE. None other answers were in support. Lets take them one by one

A: This shall go against the company as it'll be difficult to select weed if colors keep on varying
B: If shades of color appear to change over time, there may be a time when color of plant and weed can be same. The company may have neglected this and would go against them
C: overall size and shape is irrelevant here
E: This is again out of context. Here it mentions about Farmers having other activities during growing time of crops. That's fine...they may do anything when the crop is not ready OR when weeding is not needed. Doesn't support the company's initiative. Had it been mentioned that farmers are overloaded with work, or need to do diff things at same time of weeding, we could have considered.

D: This is only one left. If you look closely, this is in favor of the company as any plant can have a distinct shade of color and this would be easier for the prototype machine to distinguish plants from weeds.
Never give up .......

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hetavdave » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:13 am
I am caught between D and E but I'll go with D.

option D - if plants can be grown to have a distinct shape and color, then it will be suitable for the company to implement it's prototype since that prototype distinguishes between weed and plants on basis of attributes like color and shape.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Re: Shade

by turbo jet » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:29 pm
IMO:D

Focus of Premise: Shades differentiator (X)
Focus of conclusion: Weeds and crops (Y)
Argument: X leads to Y (via the prototype)
Unstated Assumption: Weeds and crops have 2 distinct shades

A and B clearly weakens by undermining my unstated assumption

C also weakens by giving me an alternate cause Z leading to Y

E is altogether out of scope/neutral as it throws no light on what leads to Y.

Cheers!!
TJ

:?: :!: :)
Life is Tom; I am Jerry ;)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by khanshainur » Sun May 15, 2016 10:26 pm
So I feel D is a better option