Shin splints

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

Shin splints

by aks.anupam » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:49 am
For years, a considerable number of students on West County High School's track team complained about shin splints (medial tibial syndrome). However, during the most recent season, the number of students who complained about shin splints dropped significantly. School officials assert that this reduction in complaints occurred entirely as a result of the school's decision to build a new running track that provided a softer running surface, which absorbed much of the shock on the knees and shins that occurs when running and causes shin splints.

Which of the following, if true, most severely weakens the school officials' explanation for the decrease in complaints about shin splints?

A) As a result of West County High School's adoption of better medical staff and new medical scanning devices, many students whose complaints would have been diagnosed in years past as an instance of shin splints are now diagnosed with a different condition.

B) West County High School built its track after a number of neighboring schools with similar track teams built new tracks and each school saw the number of complaints about shin splints drop.

C) This past season, members of West County High School's track team received and wore new and highly acclaimed shoes designed to soften the impact of running on the shin and knee.

D) This past season, the total number of students who complained of pain while running rose.

E) The maker of the new track claims that on average, complaints about shin splints fall 25% when its tracks are implemented.

Kindly discuss your solutions. OA to follow.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:11 am
IMO C is a strong contender compared to A.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by akhilkathuria » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:27 am
The answer is either A or C.
C= It re affirms the point that custioning makes a difference in the shin splits. So in addition to the softer track when students wore better shoes the number of instances decreased.

A= It says, its not the custioning that makes the difference its just that the diagnosis is proper as a result of medical advancement. Which seriously contradits the claim that custioning made the instances of shin splits go down.

Between A and C, A seriously questions the argument and i think A should be the answer.

OA please

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hitmewithgmat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:09 pm
IMO is A. C comes pretty close though.
However, after I read Ron's explanation, now I know why C is the answer. Thanks Ron.
Last edited by hitmewithgmat on Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer-I am not a GMAT savvy yet, but I am learning everyday with my fellow beatthegmat citizens.

I AM DETERMINED TO CRASH/NIX OUT/ATTACK BRUTALLY/CRACK VERBAL PART OF GMAT. ROAR!

by glorydefined » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:31 pm
I too agree with A, there is a similar question in OG....because "c" talks only about the "past season" but where as "A" talks about the "years in the past" which is what even the argument discusses....

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by crackgmat007 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:42 pm
School officials assert that this reduction in complaints occurred entirely as a result of the school's decision to build a new running track that provided a softer running surface, which absorbed much of the shock on the knees and shins that occurs when running and causes shin splints.

To weaken bring a new cause for the reduction.

A) As a result of West County High School's adoption of better medical staff and new medical scanning devices, many students whose complaints would have been diagnosed in years past as an instance of shin splints are now diagnosed with a different condition.

- Reduction is not because of running track but because correct diagnosis.

C) This past season, members of West County High School's track team received and wore new and highly acclaimed shoes designed to soften the impact of running on the shin and knee.

- seems a strong contender, but the word 'acclaimed' seems to make this choice wrong. What ever has been claimed by others may not have been claimed by the members of west county. Not sure we can assume that far.

OA pls?

by aks.anupam » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:31 pm
OA is C

by aks.anupam » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:41 pm
If the writer said that the number of students diagnosed with shin splints has dropped, then A would make sense. The writer says that complaints have dropped. The fact that complaints about shin splints per se have dropped does not necessarily mean that the overall number of complaints from track injuries has not dropped and that the runners are just renaming their complaints from "shin splints" to the new condition. They could still be coming in complaining about shin splints because they don't know the difference. Therefore, it does not weaken the assertion that new track is doing a good job preventing injuries.

I guess this makes sense!

Explanation found on internet.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:45 am
this should definitely be (c).

remember, you need something that will justify an actual decrease in the number of complaints.

choice (a) will not lead to a decrement in the number of complaints; there will only be a decrement in the number of complaints that are actually diagnosed as shin splints. that's not what we want.

choice (c), on the other hand, will lead to an actual decrement in the number of complaints themselves. so this is a better answer.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:06 am
It's a "wow" feeling to me
..this is first time my answer has superceded "everyone".... feeling gud dude!!!

:wink:

by aks.anupam » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:33 pm
Thanks Ron!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by james33 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:41 pm
Looking at it now, A makes sense