evaulate a conclusion

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

evaulate a conclusion

by xcusemeplz2009 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:38 pm
Corporate Strategist: It is generally true that a reduction in the price of a good results in an increase in the demand for this product, leading to higher sales. However, I believe that the management’s strategy of stimulating the sales of our luxury cars by implementing a series of aggressive price reductions is seriously flawed. Dramatic price reductions on our luxury cars will erode the image of exclusivity and premium quality associated with these vehicles. If our cars become substantially cheaper, they will no longer represent the symbol of status and financial success, thus losing their main appeal to our customers.

Which of the following statements best describes the role of each portion in boldface in the argument above?

A) The first represents the main position of the corporate strategist; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that position.

B) The first is an assumption made by the corporate strategist about the efficacy of the management’s strategy; the second is evidence that supports the strategist’s reasoning.

C) The first is evidence supporting the main position of the corporate strategist; the second is that position.

D) The first is evidence supporting the position of the corporate strategist; the second is a generalization that will not hold in the case at issue.

E) The first is the main position of the corporate strategist; the second is evidence in support of that position.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: evaulate a conclusion

by Vemuri » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:12 am
The first statement is a position not an assumption or evidence of the corporate strategist. This leaves us with just A & E.

A. The first represents the main position of the corporate strategist; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that position.
The second statement does not weigh against the position. The strategist maintains his position in the sencond & concluding statement as well.

IMO E.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by phelps » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:31 am
IMO A

Legendary Member

by Vemuri » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:01 am
phelps wrote:IMO A
I am having trouble understanding the usage of the word "acknowledges" in A. "If our cars become substantially cheaper, they will no longer represent the symbol of status and financial success" is the consideration that I feel the strategist does not acknowledge.

I was not comfortable with E as well, because it states that the second statement provides evidence. But, I chose to eliminate A.

Can someone explain answer A please?

GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:39 am
What is OA ? In the first bold sentence, the corporate strategist beleives the stated words. And the second bold sentence supports the stated words ( .i.e the strategist's belief)
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

Legendary Member

by scoobydooby » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:31 am
Vemuri wrote:
I am having trouble understanding the usage of the word "acknowledges" in A. "If our cars become substantially cheaper, they will no longer represent the symbol of status and financial success" is the consideration that I feel the strategist does not acknowledge.

I was not comfortable with E as well, because it states that the second statement provides evidence. But, I chose to eliminate A.

the second bolded part supports the first bolded part. A says the second bolded part is against the first bolded part. so A is eliminated.

GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:34 am
I guess it to be "B". The first bold one is a belief, and the second one supports that...
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

Legendary Member

by Vemuri » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:06 am
scoobydooby wrote:
Vemuri wrote:

the second bolded part supports the first bolded part. A says the second bolded part is against the first bolded part. so A is eliminated.
Thanks Scoobydooby. What about E? What do you think is the evidence?

Legendary Member

by scoobydooby » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 am
1st bolded part: strategy of reducing prices of luxury cars to stiumulate sales is flawed

2nd bolded part: shows why it is flawed, supports the 1st bolded part. price reductions. price reductions affect the exclusivity appeal.

hey vemuri, you went for E too in the second post :)

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:49 am
I'll go with E on this.

First BF statement states the main position, of the Strategist. If the strategist had to express his opinion in one sentence he would use the first bold face sentence.

The second one supports this statement by giving reasons why the plan would fail.

Eliminate B, C, D because the first statement is neither an Evidence nor an assumption.

A says that the second statement .... weighs against the first one which is absolutely wrong.

E correctly states their relationship!!!
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

by vinaynp » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:12 am
IMO E)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by phelps » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:02 am
I agree as well

The answer should be E and not A

OA

by xcusemeplz2009 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:26 am
okay here is the OA
E

and here is the logic....
The corporate strategist begins the argument by describing the usual relationship between the reduction in price and the resulting effect on product demand. After describing the traditional relationship, he concludes, however, that the management’s price-reduction strategy is flawed. Thus, the first statement in boldface represents the conclusion of the corporate strategist. Finally, the strategist finishes his argument by providing evidence that justifies his reasoning. Therefore, the second statement in boldface provides evidence that supports the main position of the corporate strategist.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: evaulate a conclusion

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:29 pm
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:Corporate Strategist: It is generally true that a reduction in the price of a good results in an increase in the demand for this product, leading to higher sales. However, I believe that the management’s strategy of stimulating the sales of our luxury cars by implementing a series of aggressive price reductions is seriously flawed. Dramatic price reductions on our luxury cars will erode the image of exclusivity and premium quality associated with these vehicles. If our cars become substantially cheaper, they will no longer represent the symbol of status and financial success, thus losing their main appeal to our customers.

Which of the following statements best describes the role of each portion in boldface in the argument above?

A) The first represents the main position of the corporate strategist; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that position.

B) The first is an assumption made by the corporate strategist about the efficacy of the management’s strategy; the second is evidence that supports the strategist’s reasoning.

C) The first is evidence supporting the main position of the corporate strategist; the second is that position.

D) The first is evidence supporting the position of the corporate strategist; the second is a generalization that will not hold in the case at issue.

E) The first is the main position of the corporate strategist; the second is evidence in support of that position.
For role of a statement questions we want to start by identifying the author's conclusion, then ask how the statements relate to the conclusion.

Here, we have a classic GMAT argument pattern: "It is generally true that X, however I think Y." The author's main opinion follows the key phrase "however, I believe that". Accordingly, the first bolded statement is the author's conclusion.

Now let's look at the second bolded statement. The 2nd bolded statement is a drawback of price reductions for luxury cars. Since the strategist is anti-price reduction, this statement clearly supports the author's position.

Our prediction:

1st statement - conclusion
2nd statement - supporting evidence

choose (E).

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by james33 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:07 pm
I am leaning more towards E, but I'm not sure about it.