Norway teen smokers

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Norway teen smokers

by aj5105 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:38 am
Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in causing teen-agers to start or continue smoking. In Norway, however, where there has been a ban on tobacco advertising since 1975, smoking is at least as prevalent among teen-agers as it is in countries that do not ban such advertising.

Which of the following statements draws the most reliable conclusion from the information above?

(A) Tobacco advertising cannot be the only factor that affects the prevalence of smoking among teen-agers.

(B) Advertising does not play a role in causing teen-agers to start or continue smoking.

(C) Banning tobacco advertising does not reduce the consumption of tobacco.

(D) More teen-agers smoke if they are not exposed to tobacco advertising than if they are.

(E) Most teen-agers who smoked in 1975 did not stop when the ban on tobacco advertising was implemented.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:51 am
Is it A ?
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

Re: Norway teen smokers

by vinaynp » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:43 am
aj5105 wrote:Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in causing teen-agers to start or continue smoking. In Norway, however, where there has been a ban on tobacco advertising since 1975, smoking is at least as prevalent among teen-agers as it is in countries that do not ban such advertising.

Which of the following statements draws the most reliable conclusion from the information above?

(A) Tobacco advertising cannot be the only factor that affects the prevalence of smoking among teen-agers.

(B) Advertising does not play a role in causing teen-agers to start or continue smoking.

(D) More teen-agers smoke if they are not exposed to tobacco advertising than if they are.

(E) Most teen-agers who smoked in 1975 did not stop when the ban on tobacco advertising was implemented.
IMO A) by POE.
All the rest cannot be concluded concretely.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gauravkhare » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:10 am
yes i agree. (A) should be the correct answer. As D & E are outrightly eliminated. C does not talk about teenagers. Choice is between A and B. in which A seems to be more correct.
gaurav

by amazonviper » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:55 am
aj5105 wrote:Many people argue that tobacco advertising plays a crucial role in causing teen-agers to start or continue smoking. In Norway, however, where there has been a ban on tobacco advertising since 1975, smoking is at least as prevalent among teen-agers as it is in countries that do not ban such advertising.

IMO A. OA please??

Winners never quit..Quitters never win !!

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:14 am

IMO E should be the answer.
A cannot be true always.. let's say Tobacco advertising can be the only factor that affects the prevalence of smoking, and stimuli says that advertising can help them start or continue smoking, but it is never mentioned that it can force them quit it. so if a is false then what about the teens that were smoking in 1975, they never quit..
so it is stated in E that Most teen-agers who smoked in 1975 did not stop when the ban on tobacco advertising was implemented and we can completely infer this from the stimuli..

by cata1yst » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:17 am
ketkoag wrote:

A cannot be true always.. let's say Tobacco advertising can be the only factor that affects the prevalence of smoking, and stimuli says that advertising can help them start or continue smoking, but it is never mentioned that it can force them quit it. so if a is false then what about the teens that were smoking in 1975, they never quit..
so it is stated in E that Most teen-agers who smoked in 1975 did not stop when the ban on tobacco advertising was implemented and we can completely infer this from the stimuli..
But those that were teenagers in 1975 are no longer teenagers now. How can we bridge the gap?

I think A.

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:13 pm
IMO - A

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:53 am
cata1yst wrote:
ketkoag wrote:

But those that were teenagers in 1975 are no longer teenagers now. How can we bridge the gap?

I think A.
please explain me, why not C..i think i'm a bit confused here.....

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:28 am
OA (A)

ketkoag,

Drawing a conclusion is nothing but drawing an inference. The answer choice for drawing an inference question must be ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

Can we say (C) must be absolutely true? We cannot.

May be banning tobacco advertising had reduced the consumption of tobacco in some teens (while new teenagers had inculcated the habit)

ketkoag wrote:
cata1yst wrote:
ketkoag wrote:

I think A.

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:46 am
aj5105 wrote:OA (A)

ketkoag,

Drawing a conclusion is nothing but drawing an inference. The answer choice for drawing an inference question must be ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

Can we say (C) must be absolutely true? We cannot.

May be banning tobacco advertising had reduced the consumption of tobacco in some teens (while new teenagers had inculcated the habit)

ketkoag wrote:
cata1yst wrote:
ketkoag wrote:

I think A.
got it.... i missed something at the first place but now i got it..
i was thinking way too much about this. A is the most direct answer but i was just trying to get whether other options can be atleast true... E is not mentioned in the passage at all.
thanks.. :)

by james33 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:56 pm
Looking at it now, E makes sense