war

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

war

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:59 am
As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of “disinformation” campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging America’s political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.
10. The author of the passage above bases his conclusion on which of the following?
(A) A circular definition of “disinformation”
(B) An example of the ineffectiveness of lying as a weapon in the propaganda war
(C) An analogy between truth and water
(D) An appeal to the authority of the fire department
(E) An attack on the character of American intelligence agents in Western Europe

C[/spoiler]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ManSab » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:41 am
I am distressed by reports of “disinformation campaigns" by American intelligence agents in Western Europe
This points to 'E'... not sure

Please correct If I am wrong..

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by james33 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:32 pm
I would go for E as well. It seems the best and safest among the rest.