GMAT increasing 'same logical error' type questions

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:620
Manhattan says GMAT is increasing this type of question in GMAT. I read this on Manhattan's website in its analysis of OG-12. So I am preparing this type of questions but these are really tough one. Please share your views.

It is illogical to infer a second and different effect from a cause which is known only by one particular effect. This is incorrect because the inferred effect must necessarily be produced by some different characteristic of the cause than is the observed effect, which already serves entirely to describe the cause.
Which one of the following arguments makes the same logical error as the one described by the author in the passage?
(A) An anonymous donor gave a thousand dollars to our historical society. I would guess that that individual also volunteers at the children's hospital.
(B) The radioactive material caused a genetic mutation, which, in turn, caused the birth defect. Therefore, the radioactive material caused the birth defect.
(C) The tiny, unseen atom is the source of immense power. It must be its highly complex structure that produces this power.
(D) The city orchestra received more funds from the local government this year than ever before. Clearly this administration is more civic-minded than previous ones.
(E) If I heat water, which is a liquid, it evaporates. If I heat hundreds of other liquids like water, they evaporate. Therefore, if I heat any liquid like water, it will evaporate.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:37 pm
IMO C

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by kris77 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:28 pm
I believe the correct answer should be C