Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Evaluation

by nirupshetty » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:44 pm
Please evaluate my profile:

Background:
I have done my bachelors in Electrical Engineering from a reputed government college in Bombay, India. My grades however were slightly below average. I completed my Masters in Electrical Engineering at University of Missouri-Rolla. I have a GPA of 4.0/4.0 for my Master’s study. I have been working for nearly four years with a large Design/Construction firm in the Energy field as an Electrical Engineer.

Aspirations:
Plan to do a part-time MBA degree at one of the top schools including Chicago GSB, Wharton, and Anderson. I wanted to stick to the Energy field after graduating and so was also considering programs like UT-Austin which lets one specialize in Energy Finance. As of now, I plan to work in the finance field.

Summary of Qualifications:

Bachelors: Bombay University, 2002 GPA: 3.0

Masters: University of Missouri Rolla, 2005 GPA: 4.0

GRE: 2250/2400 (Not valid anymore since I gave it back in 2001)

GMAT: 660 (83 percentile)
V: 38 (83 percentile), Q: 43 (69 percentile)
AWA score not yet received. Expect to get at least a 5.

Planning to give it again if need be since i just bombed the quant section for some reason.

MBA: Part-Time at one of the top schools.

Specialization: FINANCE

My concerns are:
1) What are my chances currently to get into a good part-time MBA program?
2) Do i need to take my GMAT again?
3) Any idea about the Energy Finance program at UT-Austin?
4) Do you think I should have 5 years of work ex before applying to any of these programs?
5) I had an 800/800 in Analytical and 780/800 in Math in my GRE. Is it even worthwhile to mention these in the application if it is expired as of now?

Thanks,
Nirup

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:43 am
MBA admissions is becoming increasingly competitive especially among Indian applicants. Your GMAT is a bit low for the schools you are considering and you should consider retaking it if you have not taken it more than twice already. Your GRE scores are really not relevant so mentioning them will not be helpful.

Your work experience should be sufficient if you can identify instances of leadership, teamwork, and innovation...basically, did you learn/grow during your 4 years? You will also need to differentiate yourself in order to stand out from the large pool of qualified applicants.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options