Defying efforts

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Defying efforts

by szDave » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 am
Hey,

the selected answer is the wrong one, which one is correct?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 am
The answer is D.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 am
I assume you'd like an explanation, and not simply the correct answer!

There are two major issues here: MODIFIERS/CLAUSES and IDIOMS.

Whenever you see a sentence that begins with a present participle like DEFYING, it's a modifying phrase, and it needs to modify the subject that comes directly after the comma:
Defying (something)... the US dollar (did something)...

In the original sentence, there is no verb for the subject "US Dollar."

In B, the subject is changed to "rise": Defying (something)... the rise (of the US dollar) continued...

In C, D, and E, the subject is "US dollar," and the verb are in agreement. However, in E "and to reach" is no longer a modifier, and it's not parallel to the verb "is continuing its rise," so E is out.

The next issue is idioms: AT RESTRAINING v. TO RESTRAIN. Here, EFFORT requires TO RESTRAIN. The answer is D.
Last edited by ceilidh.erickson on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:500

by BTG14 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:25 am
Hi Erickson,

As you said Present participle should modify phrase. But Why phrase should contain very. Phrase can be just have a subject. And A will satisfy. Please explain me Erickson. I know , somewhere i am lagging.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:18 am
I'm not sure that I quite understand your question. I think you mean - "why should the phrase contain a verb"? Here, it's not necessary for that participle phrase to contain a verb. The entire phrase beginning with DEFYING is modifying the subject THE US DOLLAR. But since US DOLLAR is the subject, it must have a verb to go with it.

In the original sentence, there is no verb. See what happens when we put all of the modifiers in parentheses:
(DEFYING efforts by policymakers on both sides of the Atlantic at restraining it), THE US DOLLAR, (continuing its rise), (reaching its highest level in six years against the German mark).

Did this answer your question?
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by anant03 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:14 am
ceilidh.erickson wrote:I'm not sure that I quite understand your question. I think you mean - "why should the phrase contain a verb"? Here, it's not necessary for that participle phrase to contain a verb. The entire phrase beginning with DEFYING is modifying the subject THE US DOLLAR. But since US DOLLAR is the subject, it must have a verb to go with it.

In the original sentence, there is no verb. See what happens when we put all of the modifiers in parentheses:
(DEFYING efforts by policymakers on both sides of the Atlantic at restraining it), THE US DOLLAR, (continuing its rise), (reaching its highest level in six years against the German mark).

Did this answer your question?
Hi Ceilidh ,

Can you please advise here the use of the COMMA + VERBing (COMMA+ restraining).

What I think is that , when we have a intention to do something then we use INFINITIFE and when we don't have an intention then we use participle. Please also explain me on this.

Your reply would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jain2016 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:02 am
ceilidh.erickson wrote:I assume you'd like an explanation, and not simply the correct answer!

There are two major issues here: MODIFIERS/CLAUSES and IDIOMS.

Whenever you see a sentence that begins with a present participle like DEFYING, it's a modifying phrase, and it needs to modify the subject that comes directly after the comma:
Defying (something)... the US dollar (did something)...

In the original sentence, there is no verb for the subject "US Dollar."

In B, the subject is changed to "rise": Defying (something)... the rise (of the US dollar) continued...

In C, D, and E, the subject is "US dollar," and the verb are in agreement. However, in E "and to reach" is no longer a modifier, and it's not parallel to the verb "is continuing its rise," so E is out.

The next issue is idioms: AT RESTRAINING v. TO RESTRAIN. Here, EFFORT requires TO RESTRAIN. The answer is D.
Hi ceilidh ,

Just a quick question. In option D COMMA+REACHING modifies the what? Please explain.

I marked option E.

Many thanks in advance.

SJ

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jain2016 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:12 pm
Hi Experts ,

Can you please shed some light on this.

Many thanks in advance.

SJ

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bubai800 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:01 am
Thanks ceilidh.erickson