Low gpa, but wants to get into a school for MSA

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I know Beatthegmat forum is mainly for MBA, but i need seriously help on getting into a good MSA program. I would really appreciate it if someone can provide me with some advises. I graduated from a very good accounting university with a degree in Economics(not accounting). I have a very low gpa 2.8/4.0 with an even lower economics GPA (major GPA). During my freshmen to junior year, i have changed my major 4 times. From engineering to biology to chemistry and to Economics. By the time i realized i wanted to do accounting it was already too late, because i was already in my junior year and my GPA was too low to transfer into my university's undergraduate business school for accounting. Thus, I changed my major to Economics, thinking it was somewhat related to accounting (worst mistake ever). I am currently studying the GMAT, but i don't know whats my target score since my circumstance is very different from a typical applicant's circumstance. I have no accounting internship experiences, but i'm planning to get one (local cpa firm for volunteer work or internship) after i am done with the GMAT.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by betagammanu » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 am
Hi EastWood!

I'm in a similar boat as you, my gpa is low too. Your goal should be a 700 score. The reason is because your GPA points get added to the GMAT score. That's why schools that have MSA for students will allow them to bypass the GMAT if their gpa is a 3.5 or higher.

I would recommend seeing if you could talk to a couple people about the switch. Also, figure out what aspect you want to do in accounting. I know I would like to do audit, but if you like tax, then you specialize in graduate school.

Best of luck!

**Here's how they add it up:
GPA 2.8 -> 2800
GMAT score 700
2800 + 700 = 3500 quality points