This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation Request

by akashsriv » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 pm
Hi,

I will try to keep it short.
Xth : 96.8% (Zone Topper)
XII: 92.8%
B.Tech in Mining Engineering: 8.73/10 ( Gold Medalist and Institute medal for exceptional academic record ) from IIT, Varanasi
GMAT 740 (Q50, V39, AWA:6, IR:6)
3 papers (2 National conference, 1 International Conference) , 1 Book Chapter (Springer, Introduction chapter)

Have held some good position of responsibility during my college time such as Placement Representative, Departmental Undergrad committee Senior Representative and have also participated and led my team in some National level competitions such as CIMA Global Business competition etc.

I had my startup during my final year but sadly it could not take off and I ended up joining TATA STEEL.

I am currently working in TATA STEEL India as a Manager, Mining Operations and have about 1 year of work expn. During my time here, I have undertaken about 3 improvement projects (on critical issues of Mining). I will be having two when I will join a MBA Program next year and am thinking of applying in R1 this year.

I have some good amount of voluntary experience, not just normal contributing stuff but some real projects ( 2 ) and participatory rural appraisals.

My question is should I be actually thinking of applying this year in schools such as Sloan,Booth, Yale, Columbia? Do I have a chance or should I bide my time and apply next year that is in 2017.

I am willing to share more details into the work I have done if needed!

POST-MBA GOAL - Want to go into Management Consulting (exposing myself to international manufacturing and metals&minerals companies) and thereafter want to take up a General Mgmt Role in a Metals and Minerals Company

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Tue May 03, 2016 10:16 pm
a few things to consider:

whenever you apply, apply in Round 1 (early decision) for the schools. You are from the most competitive profile.

your work experience seems short, IF you think you are on a positive growth part, then working for another year or 2 before school should strengthen your application.

keep up your involvement in community service, take leadership responsibility here

applying this upcoming season may be fine, if you are not successful, you can reapply.

You do seem to have a strong background, the biggest issue is the shorter experience and the simple fact that you are from a very competitive peer group. cheers, alex (btw, if you can fix Tata Steel ops in the UK, then you won't need to go to business school! (just a little humour from a brit.))
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

by akashsriv » Wed May 04, 2016 9:08 pm
I wish I could have done something for TSL UK. :(

I am posting some additional info. I request you to have a look at it and please suggest me ways to improve my candidature for the next year!

I had already mentioned about my school stats, just to add one thing to it, I was the student president of my school and just a few months I took an initiative and went back to school to form an Alumni association for our school so as to guide the incoming classes w.r.t. career choices and also pooled some money for funding education of 1 student on a need basis.

In my college time, except the positions, paper, projects that I have already mentioned, as a senior representative of Undergrad committee, I was instrumental in framing of a new constitution for the institution in a very sensitive situation when the whole institute had sat on a protest (I am sure I will not be writing it in this way in my application, but I think that experience of handling a 4000+ voices changed me!)

I did my internship at a TATA STEEL (5 selected among 300, it's kind of a choosy company!) and was subsequently offered a Pre-placement offer (company generally offers a Pre-placement interview!) and joined it as a Management Trainee Technical. Now while Mining is a very tough profession, it's also a very interesting one with a lot of opportunities for improvement and innovation.

At TSL, first and foremost, I decided to follow up on my internship work, took the responsibility on myself and implemented the improvement measures in the mine which while a having a great deed of good short term effect also saved company from immediate expenditure of 20 million INR in expenditure on new Mine fan installation. (They can forget about it for next 5 years)

Next, I was off to an Open cast coal mine of TSL, which was struggling with the Industrial relations issue of workers actually not wanting to work because of which there were huge production losses. I realised that the officers were actually most of the time in fire-fighting mode, trying to solve issues as they arose with no sense of planning and implementation. I suggested a performance based incentive to the Dumper operators (subsequently worked upon by HR division) and took to the measures to implement scientific mining methods in the mine which led to vast improvements in productivity and production.
In the same mine, I also worked out on a new mining method by tweaking the existing technology and using my previous expertise of underground mining which actually increased the life of mine by 10 years. I was the Team lead to investigate in this new mining method with other 4 Management trainees of various expertise.

In other open-pit iron ore mine of TSL, I investigated in the fuel related issues that were being faced by the mine. I suggested the implementation of a Fuel Management system which is being done now and am part of the team that is overseeing the process. Also, I was asked by Top management of the mine to look into the operator issues and see if any scope of improvement is there and am working on this, as well as, am working on the operational aspects of fuel consumption and intend to benchmark the fuel consumption by various vehicles in the mine. I am also working on the digitisation of the production reporting in the mine with my colleagues so as to well ,save paper :) , and making the process of reporting and action making more streamlined.

I have been recently promoted to Manager, Mining Operations, a job that holds me responsible for production of 250 million $ worth of Iron ore and its desptach (and in supervision of 100+ people, both company and contractor). The job also entails looking into various aspects of implemetation of TQM, ISO standards and safety standards. Its a statuory post (required under Mining Act of India, 1957) and involves constant communication with government authorities over various aspects of Mining and related issues.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Wed May 04, 2016 10:57 pm
this is all very impressive, you will have strong options, just determine if now is the right time, or staying on for a year or two will allow you further development where you are? cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

by akashsriv » Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 pm
Thanks, I will be waiting a year but I wanted to get your views on areas on which I should work upon to strengthen my profile!

Thanks again!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Thu May 05, 2016 11:25 pm
really everything appears strong, if you can ramp up community service to leadership, all the better. Most important thing, apply in Round 1. cheers, alex