by girishj » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:25 pm
Why is A wrong?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 03, 2016 4:25 am
girishj wrote:Why is A wrong?
Premise:
The number of employees with the qualifications to be promoted to department head is equal to only half the expected vacancies.
Conclusion:
Some department head positions will remain vacant.

The correct answer choice must explain why some department head positions will remain vacant.
A: Vebrol will not promote more than one employee from any department.
Whether Vebrol promotes one employee from each department or ten employees from each department is irrelevant, since -- as stated in the premise -- not enough employees have the QUALIFICATIONS to be promoted.
Eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by girishj » Wed May 04, 2016 12:43 am
Hi Mitch - I didn't understand your explanation. If more than one employee from any department is promoted to serve as heads of departments then what's the issue?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 04, 2016 4:13 am
girishj wrote:Hi Mitch - I didn't understand your explanation. If more than one employee from any department is promoted to serve as heads of departments then what's the issue?
Option A implies that promotable employees cannot fill all of the expected vacancies because Vebrol will not promote more than one employee from any department.
This information seems to refute the PREMISE that promotable employees cannot fill all of the expected vacancies because not enough of these employees are QUALIFIED.
A premise is a FACT.
It cannot be refuted.
Eliminate any answer choice that seems to refute a premise.
Eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by girishj » Wed May 04, 2016 6:44 am
Hi Mitch - may I request your replies to some of my other questions as well. Thanks