Chicago Booth Weekend or Other Schools Full-Time

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I was fortunate enough to receive admission into a few programs and just had a quick question for you:

1) Berkeley Full-Time
2) Cornell Full-Time
3) UCLA Full-Time
4) Chicago Booth (Weekend)

By background, I am a CA with experience from Big 4 accounting. I have been doing M&A in Toronto for the past 2.5 years at a boutique IB shop, and want to transition into the HF / IM space in US. As you can imagine, the HF industry in Toronto is very small and there are only a few funds around, so I feel coming to the US through the MBA route may make sense.

Of the schools above, I was inclined towards Booth Weekend program due to the brand name and was hoping to tap into the alumni base/other avenues and network my butt off to get in to a fund. Location isn't a preference for me either, and I would not only target the large funds like SAC, Wellington, etc., but would be just as happy with a small to mid-sized entrepreneurial one that's reputable where I can learn the business and grow within the industry. I realize I will probably have to leave my job in Toronto a year or so into the program and commit to a job search full-time since the HF/IM hiring is mostly off-cycle and not on-campus anyway, whereas with the other schools, I will be able to at least land an internship somewhere as the recruiting process is very structured and firms come to you. Through this route, I may also get an internship with a BB bank and then would have to make the transition to HF as an experienced hire if I were to go to the full-time programs which as you know can be very difficult.

What are your thoughts on the above programs please and which one do you feel makes the most sense in your opinion for me. It would help me immensely to decide.

Thanks so much!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:44 pm
Congrats on your admission to your target schools! Booth's Weekend Program certainly offers a lot, and with the right planning and diligence, you can position yourself for the most competitive jobs. Several of our past clients have gone into VC/PE, IB, and top-tier consulting firms through the part-time program. However, if you have the opportunity to go to Haas for their full-time program, I think that is a great option. The value of that network and the number of opportunities there will certainly allow you to achieve your goals as well. There many other things to consider as well - financials (getting to earn a salary), full immersion in the program, and others. Feel free to check out our free resources to give you a better sense of how to choose between programs. Hope this helps and best of luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!