Profile Evaluation - Automotive Engineer -4 Years Experience

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hello,

I am looking for a bit of guidance on my MBA aspirations and a plan leading up to graduate school.

Ethnicity: Caucasian

GMAT: 740 - V40/Q50/AWA 6.0/IR 7.0
Undergrad: BSE in Mechanical Engineering from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, class of 2012
GPA: 2.80 (low, I know)
Work Experience: 4 years with a tier 1 automotive supplier in metro Detroit.
Career highlights:
-2 promotions
-International experience launching a global vehicle program - worked with international teams based in Germany and Turkey
-Currently working as a lead engineer - no direct reports, but steer direction of team of about 10 people in a matrix structure
-Very positive performance reviews - have received recognition for work throughout department on a couple of occasions

Extra-Curriculars:
-I have done some volunteer tutoring since graduating but not consistently. I'm looking for opportunities to get involved in a leadership role in a youth education organization in Detroit.
-I bought a house in an "up-and-coming" neighborhood in Detroit and I am almost completely rebuilding the house in my spare time.
-I serve as a volunteer board member for a very competitive club rowing team I was a member of in college (team points National Champions the last 8 consecutive years).
-In undergrad I was a member of the team mentioned above, and I was also a founding member of the SAE Supermileage engineering competition team.

I would be aiming to start my MBA in the fall of 2018. I'm trying to decide if I should go back full time or part time (Ross could be a part time option). Also trying to decide if I should take some preliminary courses before I apply due to my low GPA. My post-MBA goal is to work in consulting for a major firm (thinking McKinsey). I can post more details later when I'm outside of work.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:39 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your details! Starting with the type of program, based on your goal for a top-tier consulting firm post-MBA, I'd start with full-time options. You have a solid GMAT score - congrats on the 740! While this is one data point to overcome your low GPA, I think you need a bit more to get over the hump. I like your idea about taking some foundational courses to show your initiative and willingness to demonstrate your ability to do well in the classroom. I'd consider courses like statistics/regressions, economics, and finance - make sure to dedicate the proper time to earn A's in these to make it worth your while.

Your work experience seems to be in decent shape. Make sure to highlight your leadership capacity. It's OK that you didn't have any direct reports. Showcase the initiative and the direct impact you had on your team in helping it achieve its goals year in and year out. Your volunteer/involvement has some good experiences as well. Again, I'd make sure to discuss your leadership in these activities as opposed to just talking about being a member or a participant.

For your target schools, I think you should focus on 3-4 schools in the 15-30 category (many options since your goal is consulting) and you could go after 1-2 in the top tier for your stretch school. Remember, shining at a program that has a great network/recruiting program is just as good if not better than falling in the middle of the pack at name brand school.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to check out our free resources to get you started for your R1 preparation. If you think we can help you with your upcoming application, set up a time for a free consultation below, we'd love to chat. Best of luck this season!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Jakeup » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:25 pm
Thanks for the helpful response! One question: do you know what kind of institutions I should be looking at to take these foundational courses? Does it matter if I take the courses at a community college, or should I be taking them at a school with a higher reputation?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:09 pm
Thanks for sharing your profile.

You have a strong GMAT, good international experiences at work, and interesting extracurricular activities. You may use your involvement in projects and initiatives to show your leadership potential even if they are not in the context of having direct reports.

I agree that given your goals, the full-time MBA looks to be the right path for you. Doing foundational courses at a reputable institution should also help you further address the lower than expected GPA. You would also do well to highlight complexity and analytical nature of work and projects.

Wish you all the best and look forward to your updates!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!