Profile Evaluation - MBA in US with UK undergrad

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Was wondering if I could get a profile evaluation from an expert. I'm aiming for H/W/S as well as Sloan, Booth and Columbia. Stanford would undoubtedly be my top choice.

Work Experience: I've spent 3 years in total at a BB in equity research (MS/GS) the majority of which has been in the Tech, Media and Telecom sector. I've also passed level 1 of the CFA.

GMAT: 730

Education: From the UK - top 8 Economics undergrad (think Bristol/Bath/Durham/UCL) with a low First Class Honours (GPA 3.7?)

College/University: Was a competitive tennis player, travelled halfway across the world to intern at a startup working directly with CEO during university summer.

Extra Curriculars: I offer pro-bono financial advice to micro-finance institutions on how best to structure incentives and loans.

After my MBA I'd want to be working in start ups or VC. Have a few ideas which if given the network I would love to explore during MBA.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:55 am
Hi,
Sounds like you've got a really interesting profile. Given you post mba plans, those schools seem like the good options for you.
Really when it comes down to your work experience you really want to show any accomplishments and leadership experience, any promotions, salary increase, new responsibilities etc. . As for academics, I see there are no issues there! You've got a very strong gmat (though am not sure what percentiles on quant and verbal) plus the CFA will really help so you are good in that dept. You've got some great extra curriculars and int'l experience but perhaps are lacking a bit that is more up to date? Try to keep engaging in community work/volunteering/hobbies/passions from now until you apply (and afterwards!). The more diversity you have in your profile the better.

If you'd like a further assessment and to help with school search to ensure that those are indeed the best choices for you, we provide a free 30 minute consultation. Our team is made up or former admissions committee directors and associates from top b-schools so we know exactly what the ad coms are looking for. Happy to chat further!

Wishing you well.
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com