sc breaker

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

sc breaker

by krishhxa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:17 pm
Hi,

I am facing major issues in gmat sc.Even after going through egmat sc and manhattan sc i seem to remember nothing when sc questions pop up ie can't apply the rules/dont remember. I have solved all og gmat sc questions using my methodology that is do what seems right. My accuracy in medium and easy questions is 78 % with maximum time spent to be around 1 min 44 sec on a question majorly sloving questions within 1 min or a min. when it comes to hard questions i am not able to figure out answers and accuracy has fallen to aroung 48 % time taken per question is also more around 2 min or so. Kindly guide how to go about sc and do well i have a month in hand.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:36 pm
Hi kirshhxa,

There's a big difference between doing SCs out of a book and solving them in the final 75 minutes of a 4-hour CAT. From what you've described, it doesn't sound like you have a consistent set of 'steps' that you go through when dealing with SCs. As such, you might need to invest in some resources that will help you focus on the Tactics, patterns and little 'secrets' behind how GMAT SCs are written.

1) How have you been scoring on your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) What is your goal score?
3) What is your exact Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:06 am
krishhxa wrote:Hi,

I am facing major issues in gmat sc.Even after going through egmat sc and manhattan sc i seem to remember nothing when sc questions pop up ie can't apply the rules/dont remember. I have solved all og gmat sc questions using my methodology that is do what seems right. My accuracy in medium and easy questions is 78 % with maximum time spent to be around 1 min 44 sec on a question majorly sloving questions within 1 min or a min. when it comes to hard questions i am not able to figure out answers and accuracy has fallen to aroung 48 % time taken per question is also more around 2 min or so. Kindly guide how to go about sc and do well i have a month in hand.
Hi krishhxa,

Since you are still facing difficulties, I would recommend you to go back to your study material and revise the concepts. In addition, go through all the problems that you were not able to solve correctly in the first time and note down any new lessons in your error log. The next step would be to revisit this error log every few days, so that the lessons are embedded in your system and you do not make the same mistake again.

As a general guide line, you can start solving a question by taking the following things in consideration:

1. Find out the subject and the verb
2. See that the S&V agree in number
3. Look out for the modifiers
4. Look out for parallelism
5. Look out for usage of certain words - such as vs like, few vs less etc.

If you keep these things in mind while reading a question, you might see an improvement.