Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.

A. Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and it is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
B. Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, which was expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
C. Lack of fresh water is an ongoing problem in the outposts, and they are expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
D. The outposts lack fresh water, a problem that is expected to continue until reinforcements arrive.
E. The outposts have a lack of fresh water, a problem expected to continue until reinforcements arrive

Source ;gmat club tests.

OA : E
I dont understand why D is wrong here..Official explanation says , In D 'problem' refers to fresh water.Is this correct? Noun-noun modifiers can modify the clause right ?

Please help.
are gmat club test verbal questions recommended? I find lots of ambiguity (not sure if its because of the gap in my knowledge ) in those questions..
Please advice .

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:52 pm
AnuGmat wrote:I dont understand why D is wrong here..Official explanation says , In D 'problem' refers to fresh water.Is this correct? Noun-noun modifiers can modify the clause right?
Your analysis is correct, and answer D is fine.
are gmat club test verbal questions recommended? I find lots of ambiguity (not sure if its because of the gap in my knowledge ) in those questions..
Please advice.
GMAT Club Test verbal questions are of mixed quality. Some you can learn from. Some are not great. Some, like the one above, are worse than useless in that what they purport to teach is not correct.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

by Gaurav Mittal » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:36 am
E seems incorrect to me.
Any idea why A is incorrect though? Is it due to comma put before and?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:41 am
In A the comma is fine. Before the comma is an independent clause, and after the comma is a dependent clause that starts with a conjunction.

Also, commas can be used for emphasis. So that a comma is placed somewhere is not really grounds for saying that a sentence is incorrectly constructed.

I don't see any real issue in A.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.