Content Mastery study

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Content Mastery study

by LadyDee » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:30 pm
Ok it's been quite a long time since I've taken the GMAT or even used the skills tested. It's been more than 14 years.

I have a lot of time to commit - how many weeks should I devote to content mastery before I start the various review books?

My test date is flexible. Thanks in advance!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:17 pm
Hi LadyDee,

If it's really been that long since you've taken the GMAT, then you should know that the Test has gone through some significant changes over that time. As such, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can re-familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by LadyDee » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:49 am
Thanks Rich for your reply.

Yes, I am aware of the significant changes the GMAT has undergone.

I have taken a CAT - my score was a 470. I didn't study anything before I took the CAT.

GOAL SCORE: 720
TEST DATE: Flexible. Preferably end of June
B-School: This fall.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:41 am
Hi LadyDee,

Raising a 470 to a 720+ will take some considerable work, but it is an achievable goal if you put in the necessary effort and train properly with the right resources. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it might be tough to get all of this wrapped up by the end of June. Of course, we won't know for sure until you put in some study time and we track your progress.

To pick up 250+ points, you'll likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Have you purchased any study materials yet?

Rich

by LadyDee » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:57 am
Thanks for your reply!! :-) Yes, I agree, it will take considerable study but my main question is really about how much time should I expect to spend on content mastery?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:11 am
Hi LadyDee,

Although you didn't explicitly state it, I assume that when you say "content mastery", you're talking about the various math rules/formulas and grammar/idioms that you'll need to have memorized. If you want to isolate that part of your training (before you get into GMAT Tactics, patterns, etc., then you might spend a month (or more) - depending on your particular 'needs.'

Are there any particular subjects/areas that you think you will need to review?

Rich