sc breaker

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

sc breaker

by krishhxa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:36 am
Hi,

I am facing major issues in gmat sc.Even after going through egmat sc and manhattan sc i seem to remember nothing when sc questions pop up ie can't apply the rules/dont remember. I have solved all og gmat sc questions using my methodology that is do what seems right. My accuracy in medium and easy questions is 78 % with maximum time spent to be around 1 min 44 sec on a question majorly sloving questions within 1 min or a min. when it comes to hard questions i am not able to figure out answers and accuracy has fallen to aroung 48 % time taken per question is also more around 2 min or so. Kindly guide how to go about sc and do well i have a month in hand.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:58 am
Your situation is one that I hear all of the time: "I do well on easy SC, but I don't know what to do on the hard ones!"

This says to me that you're probably just relying on your ear. The easy ones are easy because most people can "hear" what's wrong with them. With the harder ones, you won't be able to rely on just your ear/gut/common sense. You need a strategy!

More on that here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... orrection/

For the harder ones that you got wrong, you need to REVIEW deeply. Unpack the sentence, and find the signifiers of what was being tested. Keep an error log to track your mistakes - which rules did you overlook or mix up? More here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -studying/

Then do the following drill: go through the SC section in the OG, and without solving or looking at the answer choices, just train yourself to recognize patterns:

- find every example of questions that use OPENING MODIFIERS

- find every PARALLEL MARKER

- find every COMPARISON MARKER

etc.

Do these one at a time, to train yourself to have an eagle eye for each particular issue. Then, go back to doing full problems.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education