How to create a study plan for myself?

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to create a study plan for myself?

by fary » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:21 pm
Hi,
I have 37 days until my test day. While i have been studying for the past month, i need a rigorous plan for the next 37 days. Considering that the school i am applying to is only interested in quant and verbal scores, and IR is my weak area, how much time should i really spend on each of these sections including IR?

Any guidance appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:24 pm
Hi fary,

Before I can offer the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you provided a bit more information about how you've studied so far:

1) What materials have you used?
2) How have you scored on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
3) What is your goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by fary » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:12 pm
Thankyou for your reply.
I am using the OG 13, Manhattan guides, Prep4 GMAT App and Magoosh resources available on their website.
I have taken 1 full length practice test so far and my score was 450.
My target score is 650

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:32 pm
Hi fary,

How long ago did you take that practice CAT? If it's been at least two weeks, then you should plan to take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon. I ask because the process of raising your score 200+ points in 37 days will be somewhat difficult, so you will likely need more time than you've given yourself to study (unless you don't have to raise your score quite so much; if you're scoring at a higher level now, then there could be less overall work that you would have to do).

Rich

by fary » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:55 am
i took the Manhattan CAT on 31st March and got 540 (Quant 38, Verbal 27)
the minimum score i need is 600. Right now i am working on my error log and targeting topics im weak at.

I am using the free resources by e-GMAT and while they are really helpful, i have very less time to purchase the package and use it.
Is it useful to purchase the e-GMAT package? and which one?

moreover, i need ONE resource to prep for IR just enough to get a decent score in the given time. Which one should it be?

thanks.
My test is on 28th April.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:54 am
For a bunch of IR questions you could start here. https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gma ... types.aspx

There are some more here. https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/integra ... questions/

For quant questions categorized by topic you could set up a practice account in the GMAT Area here. https://bellcurves.com

To score higher in quant, keep working on weaker areas. In five weeks you could do A LOT of work on 10 weaker areas, basically becoming expert in all 10.

Also, you could work to improve overall accuracy.

By getting much stronger in 10 areas and by improving accuracy, you could go from 540 to well over 600.

In verbal, slow down and learn to see exactly what's going on in the questions, taking whatever amount of time you need to achieve a high hit rate. Develop processes that consistently get you to right answers, and then speed up once you have developed tight, effective processes. When you go over your practice tests, for every verbal question that you did not get, ask yourself what you needed to do differently in order to get it right.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:00 am
Hi fary,

With about 3.5 weeks of study time remaining, a 600 score is certainly doable (a 650+ would be a bit more challenging though). Given the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores from this CAT, you could pick up the 'missing points' that you're looking for in just the Quant, just the Verbal, or a combination of the two. IR is most closely related to Verbal CR (with some Quant skills occasionally thrown in), so improving in those Quant and Verbal areas should naturally help you to improve in IR. Since many Business Schools have publicly stated that they do not consider an applicant's IR score during the application review process, you likely have little to worry about when it comes to your IR score.

1) What is the application deadline for this School?

Rich

by fary » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:24 pm
Thankyou for the helpful responses.
The deadline for application is 15th May

I have a question about the Manhattan FREE CAT; if i retake the free CAT (using a new account) will i get the same questions or new ones?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:36 pm
fary wrote:Thankyou for the helpful responses.
The deadline for application is 15th May

I have a question about the Manhattan FREE CAT; if i retake the free CAT (using a new account) will i get the same questions or new ones?
Hi fary,

There are a limited number of questions in a question pool for CATs.
So if you reset a test, you are likely to see the repeated questions and this will dilute your testing experience.
It would be better if you take a fresh CAT. There are 6 official CATs of which, 2 are free and 4 are paid.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:10 pm
Hi fary,

Retaking a CAT that you've already taken will almost always lead to some repeat questions (and a free 'marketing' CAT has a limited pool of questions to begin with, so the likelihood of seeing repeat questions increases). This is all meant to say that your score result from a retake of a CAT that you've already taken will be 'inflated' and unrealistic. However you choose to proceed from here on out, you should plan to take 'new' CATs in their entirety (with the Essay and IR sections.

Rich