Test centre power cut - was told couldn't finish the test

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I am very, very worried about my test experience yesterday with the GMAT. I went into the test centre, everything seeming alright and ready to go. I started my test and everything went smooth for the first 30 mins. After this there were loud noises and people talking and yelling outside the room where I was taking the test, which distracted me somewhat but I managed to pull through. During the quant section the noise was bearable until a constructor came into the test centre and started inspecting the test centre because of some new construction plans.

After this, when I was in the verbal section the noise level was unbearable, I could barely concentrate, it felt like it was someones birthday downstairs because of all the yelling and chatting. I felt like i was taking a 300$ test in the middle of a public market on a busy sunday! It got to the point where I had to raise my hand and wait for the instructor to come into the room so I could tell him to please quiet down the people outside and downstairs of where I was taking the test. Wasting my test time! To top it off, 15 minutes before finishing my test the power went off, we waited and by the time it resumed the instructor said there was no more time to take the test (as I took it at 1pm) and thus was told to leave.

Yes, I had earplugs in but these where made from such bad material I could still listen to everything. And now, I am waiting for a test reschedule but I urgently need it for next week and I need HELP!!

Please could some one direct me or help me on how to proceed?

Thank you!

Andrea

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:08 am
aca1 wrote:Hello,

I am very, very worried about my test experience yesterday with the GMAT. I went into the test centre, everything seeming alright and ready to go. I started my test and everything went smooth for the first 30 mins. After this there were loud noises and people talking and yelling outside the room where I was taking the test, which distracted me somewhat but I managed to pull through. During the quant section the noise was bearable until a constructor came into the test centre and started inspecting the test centre because of some new construction plans.

After this, when I was in the verbal section the noise level was unbearable, I could barely concentrate, it felt like it was someones birthday downstairs because of all the yelling and chatting. I felt like i was taking a 300$ test in the middle of a public market on a busy sunday! It got to the point where I had to raise my hand and wait for the instructor to come into the room so I could tell him to please quiet down the people outside and downstairs of where I was taking the test. Wasting my test time! To top it off, 15 minutes before finishing my test the power went off, we waited and by the time it resumed the instructor said there was no more time to take the test (as I took it at 1pm) and thus was told to leave.

Yes, I had earplugs in but these where made from such bad material I could still listen to everything. And now, I am waiting for a test reschedule but I urgently need it for next week and I need HELP!!

Please could some one direct me or help me on how to proceed?

Thank you!

Andrea
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Could you please provide more information on where you tested and at which test center? This will allow us to properly investigate this.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by aca1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:46 am
Hi Jeremy,

Yes. This happened in San Salvador, El Salvador in the New Millennium SA de CV test centre. Thank you for your help! There is already a incident, please let me know if you need this.

Regards,

Andrea

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:10 pm
aca1 wrote:Hi Jeremy,

Yes. This happened in San Salvador, El Salvador in the New Millennium SA de CV test centre. Thank you for your help! There is already a incident, please let me know if you need this.

Regards,

Andrea
Yes, any reference information would be helpful so we can follow-up on this. Thank you for your help and clarification.
Leah

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by aca1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:56 pm
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you. The incident ID is 207784856.

Thank you!

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:30 am
aca1 wrote:Hi Jeremy,

Thank you. The incident ID is 207784856.

Thank you!
Pearson will be following up with you regarding this incident. Thank you for your information. If there's anything else we can help with, please let me know.
Leah