Practice on translating word problems into equations

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello!

Does anyone have a good resource that focuses strictly on translating word problems into workable equations? Finding that I have trouble on getting the proper equation down, but once it's there I can work through the necessary steps.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:02 am
Hi jsewesth,

Before I can recommend any specific resources to you, I'd like to know a bit more about your studies so far and your timeline/goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

4) What is your score goal?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jswesth » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:23 am
Hi Rich,

I've been studying for just about 3 weeks now. I've been using the official GMAC guides, Magoosh online tutoring subscription and the full lineup of MGMAT books. I'm planning to take the test in mid June. I haven't yet taken a full practice test, but my score goal is 700.

I've self-diagnoed my issues of translating word problems into workable equations and, ideally, want a long list of question roots (not even full questions) where I can practice translating words into equations. I want practice here before I take a full practice test.

Any resources you have here would be much appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:38 am
Hi jsewesth,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you'll likely improve over the course of the coming weeks and months.

Since you've put in a few weeks of study time already, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan. Until you have that score result, we really don't know whether you should be focusing on translating 'word problems' right now or not.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]