00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

my doubt : why "has suggested" is wrong in option B

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Tue May 20, 2014 2:54 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hope you find this thread useful:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/aus ... t2938.html

the two constructions have different meanings.
is descended --> used to talk about evolution, ancestry, etc. (as in this context)
has descended --> has moved, literally or figuratively, in a downward direction: the larynx has descended (literally) during the process of human evolution; our culture has descended (figuratively) into mindless entertainment

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:02 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

my question is regarding "has suggested" not "has descended"
also i have read that post but this point (about "has suggested") is not very clear to me

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Tue May 20, 2014 5:03 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The problem is {B} is meaning..

{B} says :

...evidence that has suggested the elephant.... --> this gives the meaning that the evidence has suggested elephant something..
R A H U L

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 20, 2014 6:17 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

aditya8062 wrote:Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

my doubt : why "has suggested" is wrong in option B

Thanks
Incorrect: Embryologists have found evidence that has suggested that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal.
Here, has suggested (present perfect) implies that -- at some unknown moment in the past -- the evidence suggested that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal.
But the act of suggesting is not tied to a particular moment in time.
Hence, the use of the present perfect is inappropriate.

Another issue:
The juxtaposition of two verbs in the present perfect (have found and has suggested) conveys an unclear sequence.

The OA cleverly avoids these issues by expressing the act of suggesting in the form of an INFINITIVE MODIFIER:
Embryologists have found evidence TO SUGGEST that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal.
Here, because the act of suggesting is expressed in the form of a modifier, it is not tied to a particular moment in time.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:17 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

OA: E
Incorrect: Embryologists have found evidence that has suggested that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal.
Here, has suggested (present perfect) implies that -- at some unknown moment in the past -- the evidence suggested that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal.
But the act of suggesting is not tied to a particular moment in time.
Hence, the use of the present perfect is inappropriate.

Two other issues:
The juxtaposition of two verbs in the present perfect (have found and has suggested) conveys an unclear sequence.
It is best to avoid two successive that-clauses.

The OA cleverly avoids these issues by expressing the act of suggesting in the form of an INFINITIVE MODIFIER:
Embryologists have found evidence TO SUGGEST that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal.
Here, because the act of suggesting is expressed in the form of a modifier, it is not tied to a particular moment in time.
Hi GMATGuruNY,
A quick clarification reqd. on your above reply.

I think, in the OG Option B is given as : that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving -- so there is NO two successive that-clauses!

Correct me please if wrong!

That said, another potential ERROR in B: evidence that has suggested the elephant -- DISTORTED MEANING as B seems to imply that EVIDENCE suggests something to the ELEPHANT - clearly nonsensical. Right ?

P.S: The correct IDIOM is, I think : Evidence of and Evidence that. So,isn't EVIDENCE TO unidiomatic ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi GMATGuruNY - any update on my above concerns Sir ?

Curious to know your feedback. Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:03 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote: I think, in the OG Option B is given as : that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving -- so there is NO two successive that-clauses!
B: evidence that has suggested [that] the elephant is descended
Here, the that in brackets is omitted, but its presence is required in order for the portion in red to serve as the direct object of has suggested.
As a result, two successive that-clauses are implied.
That said, another potential ERROR in B: evidence that has suggested the elephant -- DISTORTED MEANING as B seems to imply that EVIDENCE suggests something to the ELEPHANT - clearly nonsensical. Right ?
This line of reasoning is valid.
P.S: The correct IDIOM is, I think : Evidence of and Evidence that. So,isn't EVIDENCE TO unidiomatic ?
evidence to suggest is a correct idiom.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by aflaam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:48 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Mitch,
shouldn't it be is evolved in E.
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended
from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

evolved seems to be adjective here rather than verb.
Best

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:29 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

aflaam wrote:Hello Mitch,

Best
The elephant IS descended from an aquatic animal.
Here, is (simple present tense) serves as the verb for the elephant (subject).
One purpose of the simple present tense is to express a GENERAL TRUTH.
The sentence above expresses a GENERAL TRUTH about the elephant.

Its trunk originally EVOLVED as a kind of snorkel.
Here, evolved (simple past tense) serves as the verb for its trunk (subject).
What did the trunk do?
It EVOLVED.
The sentence above expresses an action that happened IN THE PAST.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rahulk123 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:53 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aflaam wrote:Hello Mitch,

Best
The elephant IS descended from an aquatic animal.
Here, is (simple present tense) serves as the verb for the elephant (subject).
One purpose of the simple present tense is to express a GENERAL TRUTH.
The sentence above expresses a GENERAL TRUTH about the elephant.

Its trunk originally EVOLVED as a kind of snorkel.
Here, evolved (simple past tense) serves as the verb for its trunk (subject).
What did the trunk do?
It EVOLVED.
The sentence above expresses an action that happened IN THE PAST.
Can u pls explain how the usage of descended from is correct in the right answer?

The domestic cat descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, an exceedingly recent divergence with respect to genetic evolution and one which scarcely seems sufficient to allow the marked physical changes in the animal.

by rahulk123 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:54 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

AnjaliOberoi wrote:Hope you find this thread useful:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/aus ... t2938.html

the two constructions have different meanings.
is descended --> used to talk about evolution, ancestry, etc. (as in this context)
has descended --> has moved, literally or figuratively, in a downward direction: the larynx has descended (literally) during the process of human evolution; our culture has descended (figuratively) into mindless entertainment

Can u pls explain how the usage of descended from is correct in the right answer?

The domestic cat descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago, an exceedingly recent divergence with respect to genetic evolution and one which scarcely seems sufficient to allow the marked physical changes in the animal.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:06 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

rahulk123 wrote:Can u pls explain how the usage of descended from is correct in the right answer?
Check my two posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og13-sc-ques ... 78363.html

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by rahulk123 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:20 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
rahulk123 wrote:Can u pls explain how the usage of descended from is correct in the right answer?
Check my two posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og13-sc-ques ... 78363.html
Thank u for the post,
but i read somewhere on mgmat that using descend as a verb, as it is used here is to convey a literal descending/ coming down verb
The following is a quote from ron purewal from mgmat

" descended" (without "is") --> if you mean to state an evolutionary relationship, you should use "is descended"�. "descended"�, used alone, signifies literal downward motion."

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:24 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

One definition of to descend from is to develop from.

The domestic cat descended from the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago.
Conveyed meaning:
The domestic cat DEVELOPED FROM the African wildcat approximately 4,000 years ago.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3