Looking for GMAT verbal private tutor in Gurgaon

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hey guys,

I am preparing for GMAT and looking for a right verbal instructor to get good score in verbal. In quants, I am getting 44. I will definitely be preparing more to make it 50. However I need help in verbal.

Please suggest me a verbal private tutor in Gurgaon.

Thanks everyone.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:29 pm
Hi aku650,

Based on this post, it's not clear whether you actually need to work with a tutor or not.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planing on taking the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by aku650 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:46 pm
Hi Rich,

Please find below my answers.

1) How long have you been studying? - I have been studying for last 3 months.

2) What materials have you used?
I have used Manhattan GMAT guides, OG13, and also have veritas online practice test account.

3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? -

I gave two tests
- in first one, I got 530 ( q44, v21)
- second one, I got 580 (q44, v26)

4) What is your goal score? - my goal score is 720
5) When are you planing on taking the GMAT? - I have scheduled it for April 22. I can reschedule it, if required.

For now my plan is I ll do more practice of quant to make my score 50 and in verbal I do not have any strategy, I am facing real problems in RC and more or less in sC and CR as well.

Need help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:50 am
Hi aku650,

With a score goal of 720, you'll have to make some BIG improvements to BOTH your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores. Since your Quant score on both of your CATs is the same (Q44), it's not clear how you intend to raise that score to a Q50 on your own, so you're likely going to need help in that area as well.

An April 22nd Test Date still gives you plenty of time to study and improve, but you might end up needing to push back your Test Date. Your studies so far have been 'book heavy'; many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level and it's possible that that has happened to you. Ultimately, you're going to need to learn/practice some new Tactics for both the Quant and Verbal sections and eliminate the little mistakes that currently occur in your work.

Before you spend a lot of money on a tutor, here are some things that you should review about your last CAT:

How many questions did you get wrong because...
1) of a silly/little mistake?
2) the question was too hard?
3) you narrowed the answers down to 2 choices and 'guessed wrong'?
4) you were low on time and had to blindly guess?

Rich

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:55 am
aku650 wrote:Hey guys,

I am preparing for GMAT and looking for a right verbal instructor to get good score in verbal. In quants, I am getting 44. I will definitely be preparing more to make it 50. However I need help in verbal.

Please suggest me a verbal private tutor in Gurgaon.

Thanks everyone.
A few easy tweaks you can make to boost your verbal score:

- Read voraciously everyday for two weeks. (Anything challenging will do.) There's research suggesting that the physiology of our brains changes when we read more: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/

- Consider incorporating some mindfulness meditation. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/

Afterwards, review the official material you've worked through and see if there are patterns to the questions you've missed. Anything unclear, post here. Jot a few notes to yourself about simple adjustments you can make. Remember that for all the strategies/grammar rules we teach, the verbal section is primarily about logic and focus. Practice boiling everything down to its essence. Always ask yourself, before you select an answer in sentence correction, if the sentence, when read literally, is clear and logical. Before you select an answer in Critical Reasoning always take another moment and ask if your answer really does impact the conclusion. Before you select an answer in Reading Comp ask yourself if there's textual support for that answer. Be relentless. Then hit some fresh official tests: https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catal ... ack-1.aspx
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by aku650 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:18 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi aku650,

With a score goal of 720, you'll have to make some BIG improvements to BOTH your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores. Since your Quant score on both of your CATs is the same (Q44), it's not clear how you intend to raise that score to a Q50 on your own, so you're likely going to need help in that area as well.

An April 22nd Test Date still gives you plenty of time to study and improve, but you might end up needing to push back your Test Date. Your studies so far have been 'book heavy'; many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level and it's possible that that has happened to you. Ultimately, you're going to need to learn/practice some new Tactics for both the Quant and Verbal sections and eliminate the little mistakes that currently occur in your work.

Before you spend a lot of money on a tutor, here are some things that you should review about your last CAT:

How many questions did you get wrong because...
1) of a silly/little mistake?
2) the question was too hard?
3) you narrowed the answers down to 2 choices and 'guessed wrong'?
4) you were low on time and had to blindly guess?

Rich
Thank you Rich.

I took my last CAT on 7th Feb. Would you suggest me to review that CAT or to take another CAT, and then assess it for the above questions?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:15 am
Hi aku650,

If your last CAT was over a month ago, then you SHOULD take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon. Once you have that score result, you should post back here and we can talk through your Study Plans.

Rich

by aku650 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:27 am
Thanks again Rich!!

I will post results by coming Sunday.

by aku650 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:24 am
Hi Rich,

Sorry I gave my test bit late. I have to complete one of my office projects so didn't get time. Now I am done with it and can give my time for the prep.

I gave test today. Below is the score

- 550(Q40, V26)

Also I analysed it for the below questions

Questions
1) of a silly/little mistake? - 8 ( Quants)/ 6 ( verbal)
2) the question was too hard? - 9 ( Quants)/ 12 ( verbal)
3) you narrowed the answers down to 2 choices and 'guessed wrong'? - 1 ( verbal)
4) you were low on time and had to blindly guess? - 2 (quants)

Please help me out how shall I start my preparation now. Now I can totally give more of my time daily for the prep. My test date is April 22. Also please let me know if I need to provide any other details.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:24 pm
Hi aku650,

GMAC has publicly stated that a Test Taker's Official Score is within +/-30 points of actual ability. Assuming that your CATs function in a similar way, all 3 of your CAT scores revolve around 550. Even though it's been a full month since your 2nd CAT, you're still scoring at the same general level. Given that, you're going to need time to learn to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in new ways. With a score goal of 720+, you're likely going to need 2-3 months of consistent guided study to hit that goal. While you can take the GMAT on April 22nd as planned, you're almost certainly going to end up taking it again later (so you can decide whether you want to spend an extra $250 on a retest or $50 paying to reschedule this Exam).

Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

by aku650 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:38 pm
I just dropped you one message. Please get back to me on the same.