Iowa Tippie (full ride) vs SMU Cox (half ride)

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

Total work ex : About 6 years at matriculation

My work-ex : 1.5 years in large tech consulting company (think IBM, Accenture etc. )

Remaining 4.5 years : worked as a first-generation entrepreneur; B2B Marketing, supply chain etc. as channel partner for Fortune 500 energy-efficiency companies (think Siemens, Eaton etc.)

I am an international; got two offers as mentioned in the subject.

My post-MBA preferred location is either California or Texas. Any other US region with an entrepreneurial spirit and good high-tech employers would also be okay. If possible, I would like to avoid extremely harsh winters. I am also trying to avoid excessive student loan debt.

Immediate Post-MBA goals are somewhat flexible : would love to work for a tech company (Amazon, Apple, or even some slightly less prestigious but interesting ones). Alternatively, won't mind slogging for some time in consulting ( non M/B/B consulting - Deloitte, PWC, AT Kearney etc. )

My research :

SMU Cox : Private University with a great location but still very expensive. Brand is highly restricted to Dallas. I've had mixed reviews about the quality of the business school. Is it worth all the money ?

Tippie (Iowa) : Big 10 Univ., higher ranked than SMU. Probably, more people are aware of it. I like the business school overall but location ain't great. However, most students join the program with literally zero debt and those who manage to network are able to go anywhere. Is it worth to turn down Tippie because of its location ? How easy or difficult will it be to land roles in California (or Texas) after studying from Tippie ?

Note : I am interviewing at some higher ranked schools too; but they are not top 10-15 schools. So, the current offers are pretty good.

Please help !!

Request you to avoid discussing/suggesting other business schools.

Thank You :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:43 am
Tough choice, I would focus on each school's employment reports and really figure out which one will serve you better, regardless of scholarship and weather. Both schools are generally comparable. Once you have made your decision, please report to https://www.clearadmit.com/decisionwire

cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

by Paul25 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:15 am
Hello Alex,

Thank you for your prompt response. I like SMU more and Texas does suit me well overall but the employment stats for Tippie are outstanding - they have publicly made available the info that 100% of the international students in the recent full-time MBA class were able to get internships and post-MBA jobs.
A tough choice indeed!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:03 am
Cool re Tippie, but make sure to focus on the employment stats that are directly relevant for your MBA goals. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

by Paul25 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 am
Yes, I am planning to focus on Operations/Supply Chain. Tippie is leveraging its strength in manufacturing to attract companies looking to fill roles in those areas. The only thing with Tippie is that my first job after MBA could be in Iowa city, which is not a large metro area like Dallas. However, nobody is stopping me from networking really well and landing a job in another city. I believe that MBA students, and many at Tippie, do that all the time. Thanks for your support and guidance!

by Paul25 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:22 pm
Also got admit from Carlson - Univ of Minnesota. It's a really good school, with lots of fortune 500 manufacturing companies around. Now, I am confused.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 pm
congrats! cheers, alex

by Paul25 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:25 am
Is it worth going to Carlson without a scholarship. It is going to be difficult for me. After all, it is not a top 10-20 school. Please suggest.

Thanks very much for your valuable guidance.