Exciting but unclear goals of future with an MBA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I am looking for guidance on how I might frame my situation positively for my application to business school.

I am looking to enter a part-time MBA program while maintaining my current full-time job at a nonprofit as Director of Development where I have been for a year now.

I have 4 years of work experience and am pursuing an MBA for two possible future moves once I achieve an MBA
1) a move into the corporate sector through either consulting or as a marketing executive
OR
2) to be the Director of larger nonprofit organization, perhaps focusing on international development.

An exciting reason for me to pursue an MBA is to have many doors opened and to experience a deeper level of leadership and organizational development -- and I don't want the entry into an MBA Program to be closed because I am unclear on my exact future career goals.

Do you have any advice for me as to how I might be clear while expressing my desire to pursue opportunities through my studies?

Thank you in advance for your help!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:17 am
Many applicants change or revise their post MBA goals once they matriculate. Therefore, I would suggest that you pick one path to discuss in your application to show that you have thoroughly thought through the decision to get an MBA at this point, how your previous experience will factor in, and why an MBA is necessary for your chosen career path. Adcom likes to see that you have given the process thought even though your plans may change in the future.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Papazoglakis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:40 am
Thank you for this feedback!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:51 pm
No problem. Best of luck!
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options