Profile Analysis - Reapply

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Analysis - Reapply

by sqazi01 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:58 am
Hello,

First, thanks for taking the time to read this post. I have applied to HBS and Sloan before and was not expected and looking to see how I can improve my chances. I would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on my chances at top 10 b schools, specifically: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia.

Undergrad: Computer Engineering 3.9/4.0
Graduate: Electrical Engineering 3.3/4.2
GMAT: 620, second try

Work: Strong engineering and leadership work experience (4 years) - fast tracked at engineering company in the defense industry, won several company awards, led several initiatives for the company, will have strong recommendations from upper mgmt.
Also, Spent one year working for a non-profit.

Extracurricular: Involvement with national non-profit organization at multiple levels of the organization since undergrad.

Is my low gmat an admission killer or can I make it a non issue with a good essay and emphasizing my gpa & career accomplishments?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:28 pm
sqazi01 wrote:Hello,

First, thanks for taking the time to read this post. I have applied to HBS and Sloan before and was not expected and looking to see how I can improve my chances. I would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on my chances at top 10 b schools, specifically: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia.

Undergrad: Computer Engineering 3.9/4.0
Graduate: Electrical Engineering 3.3/4.2
GMAT: 620, second try

Work: Strong engineering and leadership work experience (4 years) - fast tracked at engineering company in the defense industry, won several company awards, led several initiatives for the company, will have strong recommendations from upper mgmt.
Also, Spent one year working for a non-profit.

Extracurricular: Involvement with national non-profit organization at multiple levels of the organization since undergrad.

Is my low gmat an admission killer or can I make it a non issue with a good essay and emphasizing my gpa & career accomplishments?
The GMAT is certainly hurting you, combined with a low grad school GPA. Usually grad GPAs don't matter that much, but in this case the academics post-undergrad are called into question (despite it being engineering and thus harder to do well). To completely evaluate you, however, I would need more info.

- What schools did you go to?
- What company do you work at now?
- What are your post-MBA goals?

I recommend retaking the GMAT and trying again. Are you interested in tutoring?

Best,
Scott

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:45 am
Don't count yourself out yet! But you do have some work to do in improving your academic profile for the schools you've mentioned. Further, even with a 720 on your GMAT and a solid alternative transcript, I'm not yet seeing what makes you stand out as a candidate? What do you feel is your #1 compelling storyline that makes you different from everyone else? Until you can demonstrate that, I'd leave HBS and GSB to the side and go after one school between Wharton and CBS along with 2-3 others in the top 15 that fit your career path. If you'd like to chat further about this strategy, feel free to sign up for a free consultation so we can chat live. Best of luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:45 am
Don't count yourself out yet! But you do have some work to do in improving your academic profile for the schools you've mentioned. Further, even with a 720 on your GMAT and a solid alternative transcript, I'm not yet seeing what makes you stand out as a candidate? What do you feel is your #1 compelling storyline that makes you different from everyone else? Until you can demonstrate that, I'd leave HBS and GSB to the side and go after one school between Wharton and CBS along with 2-3 others in the top 15 that fit your career path. If you'd like to chat further about this strategy, feel free to sign up for a free consultation so we can chat live. Best of luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:57 am
Thank you for posting your profile.

Your GMAT score is way below the average for your target schools. Improving on your GMAT score would help your application be more competitive. You would do well to have a mix of strong substantiated accomplishments, along with vivid details to help you stand out. Demonstrating how these plus the MBA at your target school would help you achieve an ambitious but realistic goal would help boost your chances.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:11 am
Thank you for posting your profile.

Your GMAT score is way below the average for your target schools. Improving on your GMAT score would help your application be more competitive. You would do well to have a mix of strong substantiated accomplishments, along with vivid details to help you stand out. Demonstrating how these plus the MBA at your target school would help you achieve an ambitious but realistic goal would help boost your chances.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!